Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Hope someone can help with this please....i've got a 2001 S3 Quattro and if I park on a hill or any incline when I get in and out of the car there is a creaking noise from the rear.

Any ideas anyone?!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I get that too if I don't pull my handbrake up enough so I'm guessing it's brakes. Perhaps we both need to go on a diet too! :grin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

My dad's house has a drive that is quite steep and when i park there mine does it too. If you dont pull the brake on enough like mandy said it seems to do it.
Diet in order all round!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
The creaking noise you all experience is most likely due to the rear brakes, as the brake pads rub against the rear disks.

I run a 2003 S3, and experience this often as I do not usually pull my parking brake too strongly to avoid the pads sticking to the discs, as I leave the car parked for extended periods of time.

Try pulling the parking brake SLOWLY from a very low speed (ie: 10mph) and let the car stop. You'll hear the noise again, which is cause by when only the rear brake is engaged.

Have fun!

·
Registered
4 Posts
The rear brake discs heat up during use and cool down when you park.
This causes the metal of the discs to expand then contract at a different rate to the pads which are pushed against them by the parking brake.
You'll find this is only a problem when you use your brakes 'enthusiastically'- try to brake more gently and you'll not only eliminate this parking problem, but you'll find that your brakes (and the rest of the car) will last longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts