Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Firstly, id like to say hello - ive only just joined this forum, having just purchased an S3. Its a few years old but in very good condition.

I have however got a query about the handling and thought id run it by you guys to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Both before buying my S3 and since ive had it - numerous people (inc s3 owners) have told me that its are nearly impossible to spin the wheels, skid or loose control because the handling is that good.....i however seem to have managed this...allow me to explain.

About 4 times since ive had it (less than 1 month), ive been going round a roundabout, in the wet cos its raining a lot recently and the backend has started to slip outwards....i must stress ONLY the backend.

Ive since had checked the tyre pressures and set them all to 36 now...because ive actually got 19" audi wheels on it.

Questions:

1. Is 36 the correct pressure for 19's on an s3 ?
2. Has anyone else had issues where the back end slips outwards in the wet ?
3. Ive been told not to only replace 2 of the tyres - i.e. i should replace ALL 4 at the same time.....however the front 2 have just been replaced....could this be part of the problem ?
4. Any other suggestions as to why it might be slipping ?

Ill look forward to hearing the thoughts of someone that perhaps knows more about s3's than me !!!

Cheers and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hi,

I don't have an S3, but thought I'd share my experience with you. I also have issues with my backend slipping towards the outside. I am a bit surprised that my car does that, because it's front wheel drive. However, I believe that the reasons are the following:
1. very high speed attacking of the curve
2. fairly worn tires, both front and rear
3. worn shock absorbers
These might be some points you could check.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there just read your post
Your tyre pressures are way to high
Try the consult your handbook method
It is a myth that when bigger wheels are fitted that they require m ore pressure
Try steeing them for the largest size in your hand book
Also you must maintain no difference if possible between your tyre tread depths
this is very important on four wheel drive systems
(i.e. no tread depth difference of greater than 1 to 2 mm between all four wheels)

Please make all cheques payable to Shauns1966 :amen:

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only have a 1.8T but funnily enough this happened to me last night for the first time. I took an awkward right turn probably a little faster than I should've in the wet, but certainly not at silly speed. Next thing I know I can feel the back of the car trying to overtake the front, and a warm sensation in my underwear (ok that last bit's not true, but it got my heart going!).

Think I'm going to check my tyre pressures tomorrow, as I don't need too many more moments like that. I do agree that it's strange for FWD/4WD cars to do this, has the A3 got unusually high rear weight distribution or something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi!

The tyre tread depth advice is bang on! Yep expensive but bang on!

Personally I love a bit of 'rear end slip'! I much prefer having to correct a little oversteer than being stuck in understeer **** and just having to pray for more grip! I remember a few years back putting some cheapo tyres on the back of my previous 147 GTA, oh what fun it was.....drifting a front wheel drive with 250BHP around a greasy island.....heaven! Rear end drift always feels much worse than it actually is, I used to race TKM karts here in the UK and you could swear that sometimes you'd be at right angles to your direction of travel but when you watch it back on video the slip was tiny, (although you can quite easily get a race kart completely sideways....and then of course spin it!) Just a few inches of slide at the rear will register with your backside and your neck movement so the first few times it happens it will take you by surprise, but learn to enjoy it...it's fun!

If you ever get chance take a TVR on a track and nail it coming out of a corner....now thats slippy!!! Seriously though I wouldn't worry too much, just take it easy in icy conditions! You'll still be much safer with quattro than you would be with 2WD.

Cheers

Robbie

·
Registered
49 Posts
another ex-Alfa man I see! I had a 156 V6 before the Audi, it was quick but I think your 147GTA would've smoked it. Gotta love that Alfa V6 burble though.....just a shame about the fuel consumption

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i cant see it being a probem with the motor.. i reckon you just hit a really greasey patch and the back end stepped out... -- as dannyboy29 states.. i agree that it makes it a little more fun,, and that back end twitching around you just need to learn to get the feel of it.. (it will only be a few inches but will feel like its stepped out big time!) (Only worry when you start to see the road ahead out of your drivers side window.!!!!)

I also tend to through a little handbrake on when on roundabouts and try and get it to oversteer.... which is hard in an A4 which loves to understeer in the wet!!

Cheers!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Danny,

Yep....I loved that Alfa to bits! Literally, it was in bits when I'd finished with it!

Wasn't my fault of course, actaully it was a guy in an A4 that decided to pull across the dual carriageway at the last minute whilst using his phone, I hit him at 80! result was two written off cars, a written off lamp-post (that was me!) and i broke my sternum and two ribs....ouch!

You're right about that engine, mmmm stunning to drive, stunning to listen to too even stunning to look at, no one makes engines like Alfa! I've driven the 2.5V6 and it was quick but the 250BHP version in the 147 bordered on frightening! There was something about that GTA badge that made it magical, and a racing heritage that even ferarri would be proud of made you feel a real part of motoring history. I wonder how many people knew that Enzo Ferrari drove GP for Alfa?

Bella (I know, sad) was my second 147 and both were really reliable. The cambelt snapped on the first one, which could happen on any car as most belts are made by the same companies. Alfa replaced head on warranty no probs. Alfa service is still appalling, having said that I've heard some horror stories from Audi owners though!
After the crash I converted to the dark side and went German with the A3. For the first time ever I looked as NCAP ratings! The 147 apparently had a bad rating, well i survived a head on 80MPH collision with a stationary car and then deflected into a lamp-post (stopping from 80 in 10 feet!). If I could have opened my door I would have walked away, albeit in extreme pain but I wasn't dead! You literally could not tell what make or model my car was afterwards, it had concertinaed up and was around 2 feet shorter!!! The A4 was a mess too, front passenger side wheel was found around 100ft up the road! The firecrews, ambulance drivers, casualty doctors, police couldn't believe I was alive nevermind joking about being pi**ed off about losing a tank full of petrol having filled up 10 minutes before. Anyone who slates Alfa is either a Sud driver or a jealous driver! Slate the service though!
God I go on and on..

Lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi its has happend to me in my s3 also on a round about but only when tyers are very cold or im pinging off the rev limiter in first. any 1 that ses that the s3 is unmoveable just hasnt tryed hard enough its only as good as the driver alows it it be if u push the traction control to far on any car the rear wheels will slid a bit then the power gets put to were it needs to be and it sorts its self and for the above that mensioned about front wheel drive drifting i agree its fun but more skiding then drifting and i feel u on the alfa stuff i wanted a gt but my brain got the s3 :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts