Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just test drove a 2nd hand TDI s-line DSG and thinkng of buying it, & wondered if anyone had any coments.The ride quality with stiffer suspension, large wheels. DSG, the fuel ecomony, is it just a gimmick & get fed up with the paddle gears & just leave it in D all the time.
Seems a nice drive to me but with the harder set up it jolts over every big bump & i'm worried about the trim rattles i thought i could hear or might appear (a pet hate of mine).
Any thoughts or reviews from anyone would be a great help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The dsg box is a very good paddle box, but it is what you make it. I use it mainly as a quicker double shift down. Not really a fan of paddles myself, but this was the only auto choice available for me. The sport mode is very good, but the key to this gearbox is the twin clutches. This is an extremely smooth gear change and is extremely quick.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
the DSG is actually faster then the 6speed model

·
Registered
68 Posts
Fuel economy is excellent... most journeys average 45-50mpg for me.
Ride/Suspension I can't comment on first-hand as I have the Sport model which is set up slightly different.
DSG - some love it, some loathe it! Personally I think it's a fantastic gearbox that gives you the best of both worlds.... in heavy traffic or motorway, stick it in D and relax! On twisty roads, the paddles come into their own... a lot of fun! They're also really handy for dropping down a gear whilst in D.

At the end of the day though... it all comes down to personal preference. I suggest you test drive a manual if you can but expect you'll go for DSG in the end! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Stannary... just noticed you're in Devon! I'm in Exeter, where abouts are you?

Have you had any more thoughts about this car you test drove?

Mandy

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Plymouth, bought the car today after another good test drive doesn't seen as quick as my old one & doesn't have the lnterior light pack, but does have all he other extras i wanted.
Still i didn't thrash it on a test drive.
I feel kind a lazy with the auto box, i guess it takes a while to get used to it.
Have to wait a week now to pick it up its having a new tyre/service/valet
Can't wait.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Well congratulations... DSG takes a bit of getting used to but I'm sure you'll enjoy it loads. Hope the week's wait goes quickly for you!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have had my A3 DSG S-Line (new) since Sept 04 & despite 2 box replacements (1 for juddering in reverse the other just gave up on me when backing off the drive !) I absolutely love the concept.
Being lazy, I just leave it in D. On long combination runs (A roads & motorway), I normally get about 62 MPG average !
Tell me another 2 litre car that gives you this & superb acceleration too !

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
62 MPG wow that's pretty good do you leave it in D or do you use the gears.
The best i've seen on the average trip is 52 but usually it's alot lower than that, i don't do any motorway miles though.
Still it alot better than my old car which was a quattro, which usually gave me on average 43 MPG.
I just love the trip computer i wonder how acurate it is? the only thing i don't understand is why the average MPH is always really low it's been the same in both audi's i've owned.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the point about a jolting ride. Yes all Audi's are a hard ride to a varying degree (I had an A2 before Ouch!).

I've found that the 225 tyres are not affected by pot holes as much, and the clever steering gubbings assists by not dragging you into them also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you tried the ride on 18" wheels it's also noiser with road noise from the wheels
My old car had 17's and didnt hear the tyre noise as much as i do now, unless my new one has more engine sound proofing, so all i hear is the tyre noise.

Still it grips the road well, better that my old quattro, perhaps it's just because it's newer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes I've got the 17" wheels and the car is very quiet. The tyre choice will also affect the noise, mine came with Pirelli zero rossa'a fitted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a new A3 2.0L TDI DSG S-Line since January. Came with 17" 9 spokes and found the ride very bumpy and hard on the S-Line suspension. I've put a set of 19" BBS on and the ride has been much improved with the bigger rims!! I was very supprised and happy with the difference! The DSG gearbox is excellent, get good consumption considering the engine size and giving it loads in sports mode around back roads some of the time! No complaints really, love the car!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts