Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm in the market for a new wagon the the A6 Avant is on my short list to consider. One thing I noticed, however, is that the rack rails lie flush against the surface of the roof instead of being elevated by a couple of inches as with most wagons or SUV's. Does this make it impossible to use any sort of roof rack other than Audi's own? I went to both the Thule and Yakima websites, and neither offered an available solution for the Avant. Not being able to install a standard rack would pretty much make this a showstopper for me, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking as well. There's another company called Swagman on the web, they distribute Montblanc racks (very similar to Thule), and they're checking to see if they have the right config to work on A6 Avant. Btw, my rails are not flush, they are raised about 5-6 cm above the roof and require some type of pin system for the brackets...this is what Swagman is investigating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I guess what I meant was that the bottom of the rail lies flush against the roof, unlike most rails which have a few cms. of space underneath them where you can use of the standard rack vendor "clamping" attachments.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Both Thule and Mont Blanc are offering relative good looking roof racks...

I just bought a Thule rack, and can recommend that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A6 Roofbars

Found a suitable set of bars at RAC online shop. Modest price and has feet with the two pins that lock in to the roofbars.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts