Audi Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Finally figured it all out today, with the good weather I had a chance to look at the wiring in more detail. I had to move a pins around at the control unit end and at the lamps end, but remember I was going from Halogens to Xenons with LED running lights and level control. So the coding I checked against an existing A6 with the same lights.

0xx3121 for my car for module 09

The wing mounted side indicators no longer work as the connections for them are used in the LED daylight running. I tried to parallel them with the front indicators but they did nothing.

Had a funny issue with the main beam warning light, now main beam has gone as a discreet bulb, so couldn't work out why it was failing every time at ignition, so eventually put a 3.3 ohm 10W resistor on the end of the wires for Main beam and that has cured the fault. Maybe I have missed some coding elsewhere and the car still thinks it has main beam bulb which it can't find.

I now also have facelift wing mirrors with chrome caps. Whatever you do, do not buy mirrors from Europe as LHD mirrors are at different angles to RHD. The mirror is made up of 4 parts.

1. Mirror body, around £90 downlighters etc.
2. Glass, from £26 for basic options
3. Covers, cheap for primed, expensive for chrome, I got some S5 chrome from ebay and they fit great.
4. Controller revision R, I paid 45 euros each form Ebay, recoded them to RHD and no issues.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Finally figured it all out today, with the good weather I had a chance to look at the wiring in more detail. I had to move a pins around at the control unit end and at the lamps end, but remember I was going from Halogens to Xenons with LED running lights and level control. So the coding I checked against an existing A6 with the same lights.

0xx3121 for my car for module 09

The wing mounted side indicators no longer work as the connections for them are used in the LED daylight running. I tried to parallel them with the front indicators but they did nothing.

Had a funny issue with the main beam warning light, now main beam has gone as a discreet bulb, so couldn't work out why it was failing every time at ignition, so eventually put a 3.3 ohm 10W resistor on the end of the wires for Main beam and that has cured the fault. Maybe I have missed some coding elsewhere and the car still thinks it has main beam bulb which it can't find.

I now also have facelift wing mirrors with chrome caps. Whatever you do, do not buy mirrors from Europe as LHD mirrors are at different angles to RHD. The mirror is made up of 4 parts.

3. Covers, cheap for primed, expensive for chrome, I got some S5 chrome from ebay and they fit great.
4. Controller revision R, I paid 45 euros each form Ebay, recoded them to RHD and no issues.
You dont have to connect the resistor, your coding in the 09 Central Electric CU is wrong, you shud select 5/4/6 instead of 3(005122/5120) last digit is country 0 is US (guess), 1 is rest of world, 2 is Europe) this code affects DRL functionality, which is HID, and whether you have headlight washer install then I think its 4, once you are doing coding with VAGCOM 804 version. pls mouse at coding area, a window will pop up to guide you. If you need wiring diagram I can send you.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Gabriel, trust me I know what I'm doing with this. I am very experienced with the use of VCDS and I have been retrofitting to Audi's for 4 years or more. Althoug this is my first headlight conversion project.

I read the coding from several 2010 A6's in the UK (not US) and they are all coded 3xxx. I tried 4xxx and variations of 5,6,7 etc. None of them activate the DRL's and give me many strange fault codes. Why would a coding of 3xxx still expect to see a main beam? think about it, the main beam wire should be deleted when moving from Halogens to Bi-xenons.

My car is a 2005 originally fitted with Halogens, so something is quite starnge with the car setup if it expecting to see a main beam, but it's not the new control unit.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Gabriel, trust me I know what I'm doing with this. I am very experienced with the use of VCDS and I have been retrofitting to Audi's for 4 years or more. Althoug this is my first headlight conversion project.

I read the coding from several 2010 A6's in the UK (not US) and they are all coded 3xxx. I tried 4xxx and variations of 5,6,7 etc. None of them activate the DRL's and give me many strange fault codes. Why would a coding of 3xxx still expect to see a main beam? think about it, the main beam wire should be deleted when moving from Halogens to Bi-xenons.

My car is a 2005 originally fitted with Halogens, so something is quite starnge with the car setup if it expecting to see a main beam, but it's not the new control unit.
I have no idea, how experience you are, I just trying to help here.
From Ross tech web
0xx?***: Headlight Type
0 = Halogen Headlights w/o Headlight Washer System
1 = Halogen Headlights with Headlight Washer System
2 = Bi-Xenon Headlights
3 = Bi-Xenon Headlights with AFS
4 = Bi-Xenon Headlights w/o Headlight Washer System
5 = LED Daytime Running Lights with Headlight Washer System
6 = LED Daytime Running Lights w/o Headlight Washer System

You have to set the codes first, I use 5 (this is selected by VAG5052, I think 3 is for S6 HID headlight with AFS) on RS6 headlights with AFS1 and washer, and LED DRL. you shud not get any warning of faulty headlight and AFS n the instrument panel. if you still do , you new 09 Control unit needs to be read by 5052. 3 you may be right, and you shud not get any error on the instrument panel. for DRL lights if it dose not work you will get fautly lights on the instrument panel. Then is only wiring on your 09 control unit T10 & T32 to get drL to work. if you have fault codes, it looks like your control uni09 when you order, you did not give the chassis numnbet and possible a component protection fault too. I am not sure this applies to 09 model headlight with DRL and the new control unit you purchase. But my local Audi dealers has made it work for a few cars now. Also note that AFS error will not come on and will still not work if you do not code the instrument section.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hi Gabriel, I appreciate any help, but I'm not a beginner in retroftting to Audi. I have the help of my local mastertech at AUdi as wel lfor coding and using VAS and I have VCDS.

Everything is coded, I have a new colour 2010 instrument cluster so it has been coded with AFS, all component protection has been removed and all relevant coding is done.

One thing I think is confusing the matter is that the rev N controller is coded differently to the rev K. All the cars I have tested are Rev N and my controller is rev N, so following the same coding as these cars everything seems to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I wanted to do the LED DRL...

...but this is waaaay too advanced for me!!! - right over my head! :confused::confused:

Anyone willing to do it as a 'retro' fitting service??.....craigy???!!.... ;)
I'm with you there Dutchy!:eek: I kinda hoped it'd be as simple as the rear LEDs, alas not! I have an 08 S Line Avant and I reckon I'll hang off til I trade it in for a newer one in a couple of years time... seems simpler:lol:

I hope CraigyB and Mr Tang make up, they certainly know what they're on about... I was hopeful of maintining my Halogens and sticking in new headlight units straight out the box and plug in the ol' VAGCOM and recode stuff, et voila...:(

You did a good job there though Craigy:cool:

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Hi Gabriel, I appreciate any help, but I'm not a beginner in retroftting to Audi. I have the help of my local mastertech at AUdi as wel lfor coding and using VAS and I have VCDS.

Everything is coded, I have a new colour 2010 instrument cluster so it has been coded with AFS, all component protection has been removed and all relevant coding is done.

One thing I think is confusing the matter is that the rev N controller is coded differently to the rev K. All the cars I have tested are Rev N and my controller is rev N, so following the same coding as these cars everything seems to work.
I have not touch the N version, but only on the K version with RS6 headlight. Guess, your coding with Rev N shud works, if you still get Main beam error, it beats me, faulty bulbs error on DRL & side lights, then its just wiring.
Found a log file on 2009 A6 3.0T 09 CU is M version is fitted with AFS & corner lighting additional light lights up when turning, data as follows
Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 4F0-910-279.lbl
Part No SW: 4F0 910 279 M HW: 4F0 907 279 A
Component: ILM Fahrer H22 0320
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 4F0907279
Coding: 0133122
Shop #: WSC 02335 785 00200

I recently fitted LED DRL from Q7 V10 to a Q7 4.2, I coded the 09 CU and did the re-wiring. just took the DRL power to both Side and DRL + wires, works without faulty bulb error, but DRL does not dim when switch on side lights.
Can you share , how you remove the component protection?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anybody know how to check if LEDs at RS6 lamps are working? (before mounting them at the car???) - what voltage to check, what pinout of lamp connector?

Maybe someone know how to check LEDs at A6 model 2009? (that requiring "N" bordnezt )???

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Does anybody know how to check if LEDs at RS6 lamps are working? (before mounting them at the car???) - what voltage to check, what pinout of lamp connector?

Maybe someone know how to check LEDs at A6 model 2009? (that requiring "N" bordnezt )???
AT the headlight take Pin 10 & 12 to +12V and pin 14 to -ve 12V, the LED shud light up.

If you need to know how to connect the LED to work in your car I sell the instructions. PM

·
Registered
12 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I hope there are people here who will know.
I am in the process of upgrading my headlights (all the way from halogens!)
How did you get the extra cabling through the baulkhead? If you follow the existing headlamp wiring it looks as if the wings have to come off.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
2009 A6 LED headlight

Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is a "simple fix" to retro fit the new face lifted A6 headlights that incorporate the front led running lights? I've done the rear led retrofit, which was fairly straight forward. I've also seen a few threads about fitting S6 lights, but it seems a new bumper is normally required which is waaaaaaaay too much like hard work:eek:. I prefer the look of the RS6 lights, like the new facelift, with the led's incorporated into the actual light assembly.

Any hints or advise would be appreciated :)
In my local Audi Distributor, there is lots of defective 2009 headlight sitting around, one lucky new owner of 2009 A6 who had his car for less than six months, has replace three time the headlight under warranty claim. I cannot imagine, if you were lucky enough to retrofit yourself.

However, I have retrofit RS6 headlit on two cars, price cost a little more than standard A6 led DRL HL. So far no problem, except recently after 10 mths, on one car during cold heavy rain weather, one side headlights shows bulb error on DRL LED, but after the sun comes up, the problem goes away.

S6 bumper with DRL would be a cheaper option, and also cost much less to replace. But the S6 bumper may not fit 2.0TDI due to the turbo front piping, you will need to trim the bumper bar also.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Slightly off topic, but I hope there are people here who will know.
I am in the process of upgrading my headlights (all the way from halogens!)
How did you get the extra cabling through the baulkhead? If you follow the existing headlamp wiring it looks as if the wings have to come off.
If you are going from Halogen, you will need 5 new wires from the HL to under the dash board. penetration is thru the ECU box left and right side. You shud go for adaptive headlights to save one wiring, to each headlight. Kufatec sells cabling for levelling sensors and control, it will save you time, and gives you quality install.PM if you need a manual

·
Registered
12 Posts
I thought the Kufatec kit was horrible - I truly hate seeing just grey wires in a loom when the correct colours are available. So I have my own. I guess five wires means that you used the existing ground. But still - what routing did you use to get inside the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
......I now also have facelift wing mirrors with chrome caps. Whatever you do, do not buy mirrors from Europe as LHD mirrors are at different angles to RHD. The mirror is made up of 4 parts.

Hello craigyb

I will install the mirrors facelift to my car and I don't understand very well this
could you explain to me it?
Tks, regards ;)

PD: my car is a 2007 model.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I thought the Kufatec kit was horrible - I truly hate seeing just grey wires in a loom when the correct colours are available. So I have my own. I guess five wires means that you used the existing ground. But still - what routing did you use to get inside the car?
Kufatec wires are grey,but look carefully there is markings
On the back, when you remove the wheels you can see some rubber ring for wirng penetration.

On the front, its under the windscreen in the engine bay in a box where all wiring goes thru

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
JNV, Nice car colour you have , please share the colour code.

LED DRL, does you one works exactly like factory? Bright during day, and dim during night?

I see you use some add electronics, you really dont need them, just some wiring trick at the control unit will do.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts