Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Does anyone know if it is a "simple fix" to retro fit the new face lifted A6 headlights that incorporate the front led running lights? I've done the rear led retrofit, which was fairly straight forward. I've also seen a few threads about fitting S6 lights, but it seems a new bumper is normally required which is waaaaaaaay too much like hard work:eek:. I prefer the look of the RS6 lights, like the new facelift, with the led's incorporated into the actual light assembly.

Any hints or advise would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been considering this myself, and have been researching if it is do-able.

The answer is yes - it can be done.

However, a set of lights is coming out at nearly £1K :eek:

Also - I haven't got Xenon, so would have to do a bit of wiring (although it is not too complex)

The S6 bumper option comes out a lot cheaper at £300 for the components (inc. lower grilles, LEDs, cables etc)

You are then looking at £100 for a decent spray job.

Removing and refitting the bumper is a really simple job, and can be easily done in an hour.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you mean, but is the £1k price tag for the RS lights or the new '08 facelift car... which are slightly different

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also looking forward to seeing if the new "facelift" lights are compatible with my '05 A6... Haven't found much on the web yet but I'm slowly trolling through the German forums and seems like they're making progress.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There's a product out on Ebay now that claims a step by step manual to "retrofit 2009 RS6 headlight to you Audi A6 C6 model with Bixenon headlights" with included part numbers and wiring diagrams. Says parts are also available seperately.
Search for Audi RS6/A6 C6 LED DRL in Ebay.

Anyone have news, is it legit and does it work?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive been reading another US based audi forum, and loads of people have had the S6 bumpers put in their A6's, mainly for the LEDs, but no one there has mentioned about the new facelifted (09) RS lights fitted in the c6 a6.

Thats something im really up for and will also be looking into it if its possible to do, coz the RS6 headlights just look awesome.

I did however ask a guy working with Audi, on just a general chat, he said that the RS6 lights couldn't be fitted on th A6 coz the the whole wiring was different and the car would keep showing malfunction signs, which put me off the idea ( the last thing i want is malfunctions)

but im in this with u guys so if any info is found, plz do post here

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Retrofit of RS6 C6 Headlights

Ive been reading another US based audi forum, and loads of people have had the S6 bumpers put in their A6's, mainly for the LEDs, but no one there has mentioned about the new facelifted (09) RS lights fitted in the c6 a6.

Thats something im really up for and will also be looking into it if its possible to do, coz the RS6 headlights just look awesome.

I did however ask a guy working with Audi, on just a general chat, he said that the RS6 lights couldn't be fitted on th A6 coz the the whole wiring was different and the car would keep showing malfunction signs, which put me off the idea ( the last thing i want is malfunctions)

but im in this with u guys so if any info is found, plz do post here
It is possible to fit the 2009 A6 C6 headlight with LED DRL. But way waste time and Money as the New RS6 C6 with LED DRL, is better looking with eyelid and has more led, quality and close to same price. I have done it for two cars, One with std HID and one with Halogen. From Std halogen conversion it will cost more as you will need the levelling sensors and control unit(available from Kufatec). I have a set of Right hand traffic(which is for LHD car) which I mistaken ordered, my country is Left hand traffic(Right hand drive) Its EURO spec. Its been fitted and removed I want to sell it, Headlight shell only US$1,600.00/pair(excl shipping). The HID components is similar with BMW 5 series which can be purchase at cheaper price than from Audi parts. I can include in set of HID bulbs for free. Above will include all instructions, and how to wire the DRL led to work.
If anyone is interested, can email me at [email protected]

·
Registered
567 Posts
I am in the process of fitting the 2009 LED DRL lights, like Grant I have Halogens as well, tomorrow I will be fitting the self leveling devices and ECU along with the DRL lights.

The difference between the RS6 and A6 LED Lights is that the RS6 has the fog lamp built in to the head light. There are no lower fog lights on the front of an RS6.

I have bought the lamps, ballasts and AFS units, along with the Self Levelling with AFS.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Got half way there today with the retrofit, unfortunatley I hit a couple or three snags.

1. The Bi-Xenons don't come with bulbs - DOH!
2. Audi supplied two left hand lamps - wrong lamp housng in box - DOH!
3. The controller module 09 doesn't support bi-Xenon with DRL's

I was doing lots of other mods at the same time, adding TPMS, front parking sensors, leve detection with AFS, new S-line bumper and fogs, so it all became quite complicated.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi Craig,

How did you get on?

As you know, my A6 already has the bi-xenon plus and I wanted to change to the LED DRL. - Whether the A6 or RS6, not sure?? - what are your ideas on the choice?

Also, would it be a straight swap? - I can understand the wiring being different (due to LED's) - but how would these wire up? (maybe straight to the original DRL's??)

·
Registered
567 Posts
You can read how I got on, it was posted ate on Saturday, so I've not got any further. I bought standard A6 Bi-Xenon Lamps with AFS & DRL's

My position is this....

I need a new front controller module revision "N" to support the new lights. On it's way form Ebay.
I need 2x D3S Xenon bulbs, have to order from Audi on Monday
I need the right hand lamp assembly as I have one of each at the moment. I will get Audi to exchange the spare second laft hand lamp they delivered by mistake.

My wiring should be complete, I've added the AFS module and wiring, added the Xenon adaptor wiring, but with no bulbs and the wrong controller I cannot test anything.

I also managed to pick up a couple of A6 facelift mirrors from the same seller as the front controller. I know my door ECU's wont support them, but I think he has the ECU's as well as he's breaking a 2009 car.

Update, just purchased the 2 ECU's for the doors for 90 euros,

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Retrofit DRL headlights

Got half way there today with the retrofit, unfortunatley I hit a couple or three snags.

1. The Bi-Xenons don't come with bulbs - DOH!
2. Audi supplied two left hand lamps - wrong lamp housng in box - DOH!
3. The controller module 09 doesn't support bi-Xenon with DRL's

I was doing lots of other mods at the same time, adding TPMS, front parking sensors, leve detection with AFS, new S-line bumper and fogs, so it all became quite complicated.
I have done this before, you shud not take the 2009 model headlight with DRL. firstly the HID is D3 type. and also has quality problems, LED tends to fail, thus it will cus a bomb to replace. I have done RS6 headlight conversion. almost same price, so far two cars none has failed. Level control unit with AFS shud use 4L0 907 357 and you need to order the blue connector covers, some rewiring required, as wires going to headlight now goes to a control unit instead of the motor.

for AFS to work, you need to code the new control unit with a VAG5052, and one more unit with VAGcom.

Your central Electric control unit must be at least a K version
4F0 910 279 K. to enable the DRL to work as factory, bright as DRL, and dimmer at night as side lamp, you need to rewire and code the control module.

Do let me know if you need assistance. [email protected]

·
Registered
567 Posts
The RS6 lamps have FOG lamps built in, I wanted the standard A6 lamps with FOG lamps in the bumper. I appreciate your input, but I would have completed this if the parts were supplied correctly. I have a rev N controller from a 2009 car coming this week. I had bought a rev K, but then realised that the seller had pulled a fast one by putting a "K" cover on an older unit.

If the lamps fail then they have warranty from AUdi as they are brand new parts.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Rev "N" controller installed but with component protection, now I have bulbs as well for the new lamps. They seem to work, although I only have the right lamp installed until next week.

As for the DRL's I'm guessing that I need to wire the feed to pin 12 to pin 10 as the DRL pin has moved from the side light to the LED's. The Xenon adaptor cables have a wire in pin 10 already from pin 10 of the Halogen and this was the side light, but with the new controller the side light has moved. So it is not being used.

For the left light Kufatec send a wire from pin T10/6 to pin T14a/12 (side light) This is now the DRL feed and goes to T14a/10 if I've got it right.

What I have just noticed is that the side repeater may no longer work as this is now disconnected with the new lighting system, but I have a new set of wing mirrors and controllers with LED indicators, so that should not be an issue. I may get them removed, filled and painted over.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
2009 A6 Headlight retrofit

Rev "N" controller installed but with component protection, now I have bulbs as well for the new lamps. They seem to work, although I only have the right lamp installed until next week.

As for the DRL's I'm guessing that I need to wire the feed to pin 12 to pin 10 as the DRL pin has moved from the side light to the LED's. The Xenon adaptor cables have a wire in pin 10 already from pin 10 of the Halogen and this was the side light, but with the new controller the side light has moved. So it is not being used.

For the left light Kufatec send a wire from pin T10/6 to pin T14a/12 (side light) This is now the DRL feed and goes to T14a/10 if I've got it right.

What I have just noticed is that the side repeater may no longer work as this is now disconnected with the new lighting system, but I have a new set of wing mirrors and controllers with LED indicators, so that should not be an issue. I may get them removed, filled and painted over.
the LED DRL works with Side light, your connection is correct
Left
DRL on headlight conn T14a(left)/10, this goto T10/6 of J519(09 Central electric module N). Side lamp T14a/12 goto T32c/3 of J519.

Right
DRL T14b/10 to T10/1(J519)
Side lamp T14b/12 to T32c/14

You need to code you 09 Central electric accordingly HID with LED DRL AFS etc.

if you have AFS, you will also need to code 17 Instrument for AFS to work.
Adaptation is also crucial to prolong the life of your system.

To know if the AFS works, put your headlights to Mainbeam lights, then start the car, you shud face car on a reflective wall, you will see your projector lights goes UP/DOWN and then Move SIDE ways. if it does not move Side ways AFS not working.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
RS^ headlight

The RS6 lamps have FOG lamps built in, I wanted the standard A6 lamps with FOG lamps in the bumper. I appreciate your input, but I would have completed this if the parts were supplied correctly. I have a rev N controller from a 2009 car coming this week. I had bought a rev K, but then realised that the seller had pulled a fast one by putting a "K" cover on an older unit.

If the lamps fail then they have warranty from AUdi as they are brand new parts.
Just my input, its individual preference, with RS6 headlights, yes the fog lights is integrated to the headlamp, I double up with the existing by using a relay(otherwise it will have lamp error), some of my friends just choose to use existing fogs lapms and leave the fog lamps in the headlights unconnected and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Ok, one last question, what was the coding for the last 2 digits 0xxxx??
Which control unit?
With VCDS when you point the mouse at the coding a second screen will appear and will list the options for you to select the correct coding you want.

I can send a log file if you send me your email address

1 - 20 of 49 Posts