Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 1.8T, which i just replaced one of the coil packs on. Is there any way for me to reset the check engine light, or should I just wait for my next trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Same thing here, I replaced the all the coils since I was having a miss and do not want to pay the dealer to reset the check engine light... Does anyone know if you can reset it yourself? If you know you can but don't feel comfortable commenting on this type of procedure can you at least advise if this is even possible for someone to do without some expensive computer?

·
Registered
39 Posts
On most cars, disconnecting the battery for a few minutes will reset the computer.The only other way is to buy a code reader (About $125 on Ebay) witch is a good tool to have for diagnosing minor problems,it will save money in the long run.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Okay now check engine light came back on. Went to Auto zone since they will read the code for free and this is what I got: “Catalytic Converter efficiency below threshold” anyone know if this is a O2 sensor or the converter? Anyone ever get this message on a code reader? What did you do to fix? Oh yeah if its the converter will I harm anything if I continue to drive on it? (Maybe poor gas mileage which I have not noticed so far)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wowww.... look kids. 1996 and up Audi or for that matter all manufacturers are OBDII. Any shop that charges to reset a check engine light is full of themselves. They play on the customers stupidity. I have a little 200 dollar scanner it takes me about 2 minutes to reset that light. It just the hit of a button. Never pay to get your light reset. If you dont have a scanner unhook the negative cable from your battery and wait 40 seconds. To let the computer and rest of the car to completely shut down, and let the memory reset. After 40 seconds hook it back up, tighten it and start your car. The light will be gone, so long as the condition that caused it no longer exists.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Okay now check engine light came back on. Went to Auto zone since they will read the code for free and this is what I got: “Catalytic Converter efficiency below threshold” anyone know if this is a O2 sensor or the converter? Anyone ever get this message on a code reader? What did you do to fix? Oh yeah if its the converter will I harm anything if I continue to drive on it? (Maybe poor gas mileage which I have not noticed so far)
Downstream O2 is the only reason youll get this code. Yea a bad cat will set it off but unless you drove around with a misfire for quite some time, its most likely just the sensor. downstream is after the cat and measures catalyst efficiency

·
Registered
93 Posts
Downstream O2 is the only reason youll get this code. Yea a bad cat will set it off but unless you drove around with a misfire for quite some time, its most likely just the sensor. downstream is after the cat and measures catalyst efficiency
Thanks for the response. When the coil first went out I drove like 3 miles to the local parts store pulled into the lot popped the hood and the cat was glowing red :(..... Let it cool down replaced the plugs and drove another two miles parked it in the garage and did not run it again until all coils were replaced. You think I burned up the cat since it was glowing red or do you think theres a possibility its okay?

·
Registered
67 Posts
My car dropped 2 out of 4 coils. I drove 38 miles from work to my buddy's Audi dealer where we swapped them out. I didn't burn the cat up. As long as you don't drive it hard while misfiring you can really drag it out. It is the unburnt fuel that causes the cat to get burnt out.

The glowing exhaust manifold/catalytic converter is commonplace with 1.8T's. If you drive the car real hard and then park it (engine running) pop your hood and it will be glowing tangerine orange. It got pretty bright. No check engine lights. No EPC. Running smooth as a butterfly, just standard operation of the vehicle. I wouldn't worry about the glow, but I do recommend letting the car run 2-3 minutes while parked to ensure the turbo cools down to its standard metal color, no glow, dull red is ok too. This prevents the turbo from getting shocked by the much cooler air outside the car and possibly cracking. It also prevents the oil inside the turbo from sitting there and getting sludged up and varnishing to the internals of the turbo. As long as the engine is running those fluids keep in motion and cool everything.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks LT1 I appreciate your response. I have a turbo timer so it runs for like 3 min anyways when you shut her down. The other thing is I only noticed the glowing cat when the coils were out but never during normal operation. Well anyways thanks for the help and I will try replacing the downstream o2 before doing the test pipe idea..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Audi a4 just been serviced and blew a fuse in the lighter replaced it disconnecred the battery but the engine light has stayed on back on also just had a scam for the same issue scan had come back wig one fault

1 - 13 of 13 Posts