Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My buddy has an '01 1.8T and one of his xenon lights went out. I am familiar with aftermarket xenon kits (installed one in my Supra and have installed others) but I am not familiar with stock xenon kits. Can I just replace the bulb, or is there more to it than this? Alos, what type bulb is the stock xenon bulb, D2S? His have been very dim for the past few months and i assumed it was b/c they were about to go out, but i think he wants a diff. temp than what come stock, so I am wondering if I can buy any kind of D2S bulb (philips, etc.)? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. is all that is involved with replacing them, just unplugging the bulb and plugging in the new one? thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
anthracitetarga said:
thanks. is all that is involved with replacing them, just unplugging the bulb and plugging in the new one? thanks.

I think so.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It may depend... pull the cover off the back of a headlight and see what bulb is in there, some used D2S... Some used D1S, they are not compatible with eachother.

If they're d1s bulbs, you'll see a silver square box that is the ignitor attached to the bulb, remove the metal clip and pull the bulb out, you'll then be able to disconnect the bulb connector.

If they're d2s bulbs you'll see a smaller silver bulb connector, gently twist the connector (only goes one way) and then pull it off the bulb. There is a small metal clip that holds the bulb in, unclip the "legs" and pull the bulb out.

You should replace HID bulbs in pairs, this will keep the color and brightness between the bulbs the same, as the color and light output changes over time. You can find pairs of D2S bulbs for around $60-$70 brand new on ebay. I personally recommend Philips bulbs, but Osram will work too, stay away from no-name brand bulbs and high kelvin bulbs, this reduces output greatly. If he REALLY wants higher temperature bulbs, go with 6000K Philips Ultinon bulbs (pretty expensive), but I recommend sticking with OEM temperature bulbs for the best output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jared, thanks for the info. I ordered him some d2s bulbs, so hopefully those r what he has. As far as temp, I tried to tell him to only go up to 6000k (this is what i have in my supra) but he's insisted on the 10000k. *shrug*

1 - 6 of 6 Posts