Audi Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got a silver 2000 TT quattro (1.8/180 HP/PS) with 100k miles near portland, or. it suddenly wouldn't start and the shop says it needs a new ecm/computer for ~$900, as well as some gaskets and some other minor things.

is there a cheaper way to source an ecm? if not, i'm considering selling it -- anyone interested, or have an idea what a fair price would be in this condition?

·
Super Moderator
Audi Audi Audi Porsche porsche porsche ford Chevy Mazda studebaker Toyota
90 Posts
Lots of ecm‘s for the TT on Ebay and other sources or ship yours out for repair all for less than 300.00 of course you need to replace it yourself ! It’s hard to sell a non running car. Glws

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lots of ecm‘s for the TT on Ebay and other sources or ship yours out for repair all for less than 300.00 of course you need to replace it yourself ! It’s hard to sell a non running car. Glws
thank you! i do see them on ebay, but when i asked the shop, they said one from ebay would have to be reprogrammed for my VIN, i guess the settings can vary even within a year/trim? i would need fancy equipment/knowledge to reprogram, right? i'd be very happy to ship it for repair, can you recommend someplace? looking at youtube, it looks easy to pop it in/out, doesn't seem to hard to access it, am i understanding right?

check the eng control relay is working properly.
thanks -- how do i do that? you're saying i should ask if the shop checked this, because it's a common simpler problem that would make it look like the ecm was bad even if it wasn't?

Hey, you are talking about if not, i'm considering selling it -- anyone interested, or have an idea what a fair price would be in this condition? for tis you have to search on google .
Dr Jambu Jain
yes i've kbb'd it, but i think they/google would only know the value of working cars :) if i'm mistaken please educate me!

thanks very much for your help all! his was the most helpful of the 5 fora i found...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Engine control relay - I found the arm solder joint was cracked. So I resoldered it. = thing has worked for the last 15 yrs. Previous owner had it at 3 garages. He was to scrap it. I gave him twice the scrap value. Took me several months to find the fault.
Take out the relay. connect to a battery - connect to a DMM. watch the DMM for continuety of the contacts when the coil is activated. If there is contact and then no contact could be a solder joint or the coil wire is broken - make / break. The relay has numbered connectors you need to know which ones to use.
I may have notes re' doing it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts