Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 A4 2.8 Quattro with 88k miles. I hear a hum from the rear end and think it may need a lube job or perhaps need to repack the bearings. Brakes are new and tires have less than 1,000 miles on them.

I've also heard that I need a special "Audi" grease gun for DIY lube jobs.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thx.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Well, your mileage sounds just about right for a wheel bearing. Try driving at a moderate speed and slowly swerve the car back and forth. If the noise disappears or changes tone when you turn one way and changes again when you turn back,,, it's nearly certain to be a wheel bearing. What happens is that the noise changes as you load or unlaod the bearing as the car swerves back and forth.
If the noise doesn't change, it could be something wrong deeper within the drive train.
Sorry but DIY is not familiar to me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If noise does not change with swerving, would check tyres even though they are almost new. Have had at least 2 situtations when mechanics thought the rear diff was gone, only to find that it was the tyres (although not an Audi) They rebuilt the diff on one of those occasions only to find it made no difference.

If the noise is the same with swerving, try exchanging the front and rear tyres.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts