Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to see a client on the interstate doing 80mph and all of a sudden it feels like i ran something over as i heard some go under the car. I looked behind and couldn't see anything and didn't think anything of it but i slowed down and carried on then the car starts to shake a little so i just move over to the hard sholder to inspect the car and low and behold my rear Michelin tyre blew out.

The side wall on the inside had a big hole in it when i took it off to put the spare on. I was deffinetly not impressed to find the spare which i knew was worn had a huge ass bolt in it! Thankfully about 3weeks ago i checked the spare and found it was pretty flat so i put some more air in it.

After my client I went to Tire Kingdom and got 2 Yokohama direction Z rated tyres fitted to the front and the fairly new Nexen's put on the back. They aligned the tracking and they balanced the new wheels but i didn't see them balance the old ones at all and now when the car is between 80 and 100 it vibrates from the back, i.e. not through the steering wheel but through the floor. So i might go back and get them to balance them.

In hole though the Audi didn't give a toss about the blow out, i guess it was cuz it was the rear not the front! I'm thankful the audi is a safe and sturdy car cuz at that speed it could have been hell of a lot worse!

Funnily enough today on CNN and on MSN they published the safest cars in America, look where Audi placed ;) I know it says 2007 but the b6 and b7 are basically the same technology.

THE WINNERS ARE ...The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released its list of safest vehicles for the 2007 model year. This year, all winners must have electronic stability control.
LARGE CARS: Audi A-6
MIDSIZE CARS: Audi A-4, Saab 9-3, Subaru Legacy (with optional stability control)
MINIVANS: Hyundai Entourage, Kia Sedona
LUXURY SPORT UTILITIES: Mercedes M-class, Volvo XC90.
MIDSIZE SUVs: Acura RDX, Honda Pilot, Subaru B9 Tribeca
SMALL SUVs: Honda CR-V, Subaru Forester (with optional stability control)

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
is ur care still shakin in the rear, is ur rim still true
but audi shouldnt care about its tires casue the arent undeer their warrentie

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Hi,

basicly the need the rear wheels balancing.. a lot of garages dont do the rears as it does not affect most cars... HOWEVER on the A4 it does..,, get them re-balanced and im sure it will solve the problem!!

One thing to add to this... i was doing about 95mph about 3 months ago in the outside lane on a 4 lane motorway when i have the rear right blow on me!! once again the car stayed perfectly true and was able to slow down safely.... however the tyre was ripped to shreds!!

(not that a speed or anything, the speedo must of been wrong! LOL!! )

Cheers

Rickt

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good job Audi i guess its not exactly thinking outside the box but it a nice feature not having a car throw u in a guard rail when a tire goes.

I will get the rears balanced, they didn't do the rears as they were already on the car at the front and it was starting to hit 8pm i guess. However, the vibration was a lot less when the car was fully loaded at the back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts