Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hi,

I have just bought a 3 door Audi A3 (2000 reg) and have disconnected a pair of speakers that the previous owner had installed in to the rear parcel shelf.

The problem is that I now only get sound via the front speakers and the two origional speakers located in the rear side panels sounds muffled and no sound seems to be comming from them.

I have removed the stereo from the dash to see whether or not the rear speakers had been disconnected at the back of the actual stereo unit, but they have not.

I have concluded (unless anyone can suggest otherwise) that the rear speakers were disconnected at the speakers themselves.

If this is the case I assume I will need to remove the side panels either side of the back seat where the two rear speakers are mounted.

Can anyone tell me how I do this or offer any alternative suggestions if they thing my diagnostic is wrong.

Thanks

Jimbob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Originally posted by Jimbob@Feb 14 2005, 10:32 PM

Hi,

I have just bought a 3 door Audi A3 (2000 reg) and have disconnected a pair of speakers that the previous owner had installed in to the rear parcel shelf.

The problem is that I now only get sound via the front speakers and the two origional speakers located in the rear side panels sounds muffled and no sound seems to be comming from them.

I have removed the stereo from the dash to see whether or not the rear speakers had been disconnected at the back of the actual stereo unit, but they have not.

I have concluded (unless anyone can suggest otherwise) that the rear speakers were disconnected at the speakers themselves.

If this is the case I assume I will need to remove the side panels either side of the back seat where the two rear speakers are mounted.

Can anyone tell me how I do this or offer any alternative suggestions if they thing my diagnostic is wrong.

Thanks

Jimbob

take it off and have a look take out lower rear seat and the side panels are on poppers be carefull there prone to break

·
Registered
2 Posts
From the looks of things the negative on the rear speakers seems to be grounded at some point.
Your best bet is to re-run speaker cables to the rear speakers.
This is relatively easy as all the panels are just clipped to the body.I've re-run my cable about 2 days ago and the installation takes about an hour to complete including beer breaks.

On the plus side, the sound seems to allot fuller when using the rear panel speakers depending on your setup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im trying to replace the sub in my A3 the trouble is i dont know how to get the rear side panel off! am i just as well taking it to a car audio shop and letting them do it or is it not as difficult as it seems??? are there any special tools needed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nice Topic, Got the same issues....

Got a Bose Sound system in a Audi A3 1998 1.6se
Replaced the headunit, all i get is front speakers playing pretty good louder than what
bose headunit produced, also have the bass box playing but not loud enough... have to adjust the sound down on the front speakers to hear the bass...

Would like to run the rear channels from out the new headunit to the rear side panel speakers but haven't done that yet... ( love the car to much to start playing around )
even thou i did sound systems before just don't want to ruin a audi a3

any ideas on removing side panels

·
Registered
1 Posts
:( Ya know why it does that no sound through the rear speakers. Becuz the rear speakers run off line leval. Meaning no power goes to them like rca wires for a amp Doh. I sugest when you change your head unit you rewire the rear speakers streight from the deck. If you look on the speakers in the rear the amp is attached to the left speaker. They are actuly woofers if you wana call them that. So rewire your rear speakers before you burn your car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts