Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm using Castrol Syntec 10w30 in the summer months.

I do a lot of highway driving, and put on a lot of miles each day commuting to work.

I noticed that between oil changes I need to top up the oil, because it gets low.

There are no oil drops in my driveway, and the place that services the car days that there are no leaks anywhere on the engine.

Is this normal? I've only had the car for 18 months, so I'm still learning.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Bill,

Figuring your 1998 V6 has over 100,000 miles on it, then I would expect some oil consumption from wear. If you are going the full 5000 miles between oil changes, then adding a quart of oil between changes would not be unusual.

Not knowing your mileage or the history of the car it's hard to say if this is excesssive or not.

VB

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for taking the time to address my concern.

Right now, the car has 130,000km, which is approx 82,000 miles.

I'm going 5000 km between oil changes, which is a little over 3,000 miles.

I check the oil lever after they change it, and it's always at the high mark of normal.

I check after 3,000 miles, and it's literally at the "low" mark, below the hash marks.

Seems unusual to me for such low mileage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
my 2.4 a4 has 118,000 now, and every 5000 miles the oil is usually low. i use high mileage castrol gtx oil. (its so goouey!) i do mainly town and city driving, but occasionally motorway driving. Its had a full audi service history since day 1 and its very well taken care of.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bill,

With only 82,000 miles I would agree that a quart of oil being used every 3,000 miles seems a bit high but not unreasonable. I would just top up at about 1/2 the oil change interval and not be too worried since the cost is not much. Since I have a 1.8T motor I can't say from experience if it's excessive.

Any other listers out there with the same motor? How about sharing some oil consumption history with Bill.

Come on guys, that's what the forum is for! Let's see a few posts from you V6'ers.

VB

·
Registered
6 Posts
bill,
i have a 2.8 quattro with 92000 miles, i use gtx magnatec 10w-40 in mine, had the car 4 months now so cant really comment toomuch!!

What i can say is that in the cars handbook it states that under certain conditions the enging may use up to 1l oil per 600kms, i think thats what it says i'll check and update later!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts