Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an A4 Quattro 2.8 30V and need some help. Where can I buy a discounted radiator? Second, is it best to buy original Audi parts or OEM parts? How can I get a discount on original Audi parts? Also, where can I get an audi parts manual or instructions on how to replace the radiator, with pictures?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If your dealers in the States are anything like the ones over here, it's probably best to avoid them if you value your wallet! A lot depends on how much you want to spend, you can go from scrapyard parts for very little money (not recommended) to racing replacements. Strangely enough, I'd try eBay and look for Nissen Radiators. I've just spent the afternoon helping a friend replace his rad in his Peugeot with one of these, and it was cheaper than the OEM part (even from an independent supplier), lighter and more efficient.
Try this:
http://tinyurl.com/7gzlr

As to replacing it, it's not too tricky to do yourself, although expect scaped knuckles and a spot of swearing :) . Basically (and this is a very rough guide):

Disconnect all hoses from old radiator, and stand back as coolant goes everywhere.
Remove all bolts holding it in and remove old radiator (easier said than done).
Flush remaining cooling system with hose to remove and gunk.
Replace hoses as needed and replace all single use spring clips with jubilee clips.
Refill with the appropriate mix of G12+ coolant and water checking for leaks as you go. I find it's best filled through the top hose or the expansion tank. When full, run the engine until warm squeezing the hoses to remove air bubbles, and top up the coolant levels as necessary.
Go for a drive, wait for the engine to cool and then check levels and leaks again.

Sorry, that's a bit generic, but might be of some use.
Cheers,
Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts