Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bellhousing where the clutch slave attaches is broken, so the clutch is obviously non-functional. Anyone know what my options are? Obviously one is replace entire tranny, but can I maybe just replace the forward part, I guess on the car it is the differential carrier. I am pretty sure by looking it does not have a separate bellhousing, the front section is one piece. Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, Well if you have the broken parts then you could surley have it welded back on, but with aluminium it takes a special gas called argon which is expensive, last i checked it was 80 bucks a pound so most auto shops are out as it isnt cost efficient for the little bit they may need it, however some may be able to do this. If you feel ok with pulling out the tranny or getting a friend or friends together to help you out then I would think this may be your best bet (just make sure to remember where things are set at and mark as much as you can if you are new to this) By having it pulled out your options then open up to most machine shops ect, and they could most surley weld that up for you or fabricate somthing, just be sure to bring in all your parts like ie: the slave cylinder and all the broken parts you have that need to fit in that area and some may be able to do a better job depending on how much info you can give them like how much room they have to work with eg: if they had to make a custom bracket and needed an idea as to how much room they have to build it in so it dosnt hit anything ect... Then this would be your cheapest bet, and dont forget to check all your local welding shops, most of them take on any job as long as you can give them an idea of what you need done, and here you will find some of the best welders around and will give you a sure fix. I would go the welding shop rout my self as price would prob be cheapest and offer a strong weld and fix.

Make sure to ask if they can do aluminium welding.

Other options like you said already are, replacing the whole thing which gets expensive on those things, or finding a good used one at your local wreckers, do alot of leg work if someone tells you they cant weld it keep trying dont lose hope, most welding shops will weld anything, call around and check options V.S. Price and your budget. Having it welded would prob be the cheapest though.

I hope this rambling helps give you some more options, let me know how it turns out, and feel free to email me or pm me here at the forum if you have any questions or need help. I'd do it for you but alas i'm way up here in canada living in my Igloo :grin: good luck!! LT.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts