Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm think about getting a a4. most likley a quattro 2.8 but is the the pick of the bunch or are the other version a better option. i do quite alot of mile so economy does matter put wear ect also plays a part. i want something nippy cause the bmw i have now is pants (325) :angry:
How easy is each version to tune up and what sort of power gain would i expect from moderate tuning ( £400 ish)

so to the nitty gritty is there any major problems i should look out for any problem areas!!!

as been new to the audi i have no idea of any problems they suffer

all advise would be welcome

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 1.8T, and have not had any problems with it at all(knock on wood). I know a few service reps, and I get together with an Audi salesman 4 times a week at work, and he tells me that the 1.8T is the most reliable of the engine choices, but that is not to say that there are serious issues with the other sizes. If memory serves me right, there is not much of a difference in economy between the 4 and 6 cylinder selections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2.6 Quattro - which you can only get here in Australia and in the UK. I really like the V6. It makes a great sound and extreamly smooth. Mine is a 2 valve single overhead cam - so it only makes 110kw.

The 2.8 will have all this but it is 5 valves double over head cam and it makes 140 odd kw.

The Turbo models make about the same power, with a little more torque but don't have the smoothness or sound. Also, turbo's generally are less reliable as you are geting more power out of a smaller engine and thus are putting more strain on it.

Audi turbo engines are very reliable however, and if you are thinking about modification, the turbo models get much greater gains for little money.

I got the V6 for the sound, the fact that I probably wasn't going to much modification and the fact that I couldnt insure a turbo car here.

Quattro, I feel, is one of the main reasons to get an Audi. The grip and handling is sublime compared to even AWD subarus. This is particularly releveant in the UK where you have snow.

Hope this has been some help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts