Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the fact that a manual is more fun to drive, why does everyone say not to get an automatic? I'm looking for an A4(99-'00ish) 1.8t, but all I can find with the right mileage/price combo are automatic.

Can someone please fill me in on any Audi specific reasons why I shouldn't get an auto?
I really WANT to find a 5spd. Don't get me wrong. But I'm finding really good deals on cars that fit my criteria, with the exception of the transmission.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
No I won't hammer you (lol).
This is sorta like a hanging curver ball but I won't swing for the fences.
The simple answer is "it depends on your driving style."
There are many things you can do with a stick that you cannot with an automatic.
Try, for example, drifting the car around a corner and double clutching down a gear to keep it in the power band,,,,, just can't do that with an automatic.
This is particularly fun with a quattro because as the car starts to drift you hammer the gas and all 4 wheels dig in to pull you around the corner.
Good times.
Either way, the A4 is a great car.

Have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manual transmission cars are a bit quicker and get better gas mileage because they weigh less and don't have torque converters to waste any power. They offer more control over the power band, and they're typically more reliable and cheaper to repair, too. Unless, of course your driving style causes you to chew through clutches...

If you'd rather have a stick, you're better off waiting for the right car. I ended up buying a '99.5 with 99k miles, but the previous owner had recently replaced the clutch and timing belt (two huge expenses), so you don't have to restrict yourself to a low, or average, mileage car necessarily.

I also found that many sellers were willing to accept substantially less than what they were asking. Car sales are soft everywhere right now, so offer people KBB trade-in price and see what happens.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input so far! All of the cars I've had in the past have been standards because that IS what I would rather drive.
I just ask because I'm finding out right now about the HUGE history of Chrysler electronic tranny's. If I had done the research before I bought the van 5 years ago, I'm sure I wouldn't be getting ready to put MY second transmission in. Yep, That'll make a total of 3 in a van that's 9 years old with 120k on the clock.

I think I realize now that the reason all my friends tell me to make sure to get a standard is two-fold...1) They know my driving style :grin: and 2) We like to drive each others cars every once in a while and that would give them a chance to "play" in a nicer car than most of them have.

I was just looking for someone to tell me that I wouldn't end up in the same situation I'm in now with the Caravan.

Thanks guys..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts