Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first I will introduce myself. My name is Mike, I am from Long Island and right now I drive a 96 GMC Jimmy. I got into an accident with a DWI driver and have some settlement money to piss away. At first I was looking into buying a Cobalt SS, but today my uncle offered me a great deal. A silver 2001 Audi A4 1.8T, 5spd, AWD, leather, 62k in good condition for only 8 grand! ( I know awesome deal) Anyway I'm seriously considering this, but there is only one thing holding me back.

All I have ever heard about Audis and other german cars are how much it costs to fix any little problem. How true is this? I dont want to empty my pockets just to change a set of brake pads so I can drive a nice car. I've always been the buy-american type, but this is just such a great deal on such a nice car. Also, I know that 60k miles is nothing for these cars, and that they will go forever, but I'm worried about smaller mechanical problems that may come up. What kind of stuff goes wrong with these cars after 60k? Also, what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting on the 1.8T?

Thank you very much, and I look foward to posting more on this board.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Well that’s a dam good price for a 2001 with 60k on her. First check the control arms as these are a week spot on the A4 but a dealer should check them for free and may replace them if they have issues for free but check first.

The cam belt will be due although Audi quote 80k but cars have been known to go bang before that hence 60k. Check out it service history as Audi can confirm the last service and give you an idea if it’s correct.

Brakes are quite cheap and easy to do upfront but the rears have to be wound back with a tool but still a DIY.

One of the first thing you might want to do after a few weeks is chip her which should se about 200-220bhp and give it the power it should have had from stock but in all they are a great car and most info to fix thing can be found on the net.

·
Registered
4 Posts
don't do it!

ToTaLeD said:
Hello, first I will introduce myself. My name is Mike, I am from Long Island and right now I drive a 96 GMC Jimmy. I got into an accident with a DWI driver and have some settlement money to piss away. At first I was looking into buying a Cobalt SS, but today my uncle offered me a great deal. A silver 2001 Audi A4 1.8T, 5spd, AWD, leather, 62k in good condition for only 8 grand! ( I know awesome deal) Anyway I'm seriously considering this, but there is only one thing holding me back.

All I have ever heard about Audis and other german cars are how much it costs to fix any little problem. How true is this? I dont want to empty my pockets just to change a set of brake pads so I can drive a nice car. I've always been the buy-american type, but this is just such a great deal on such a nice car. Also, I know that 60k miles is nothing for these cars, and that they will go forever, but I'm worried about smaller mechanical problems that may come up. What kind of stuff goes wrong with these cars after 60k? Also, what kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting on the 1.8T?

Thank you very much, and I look foward to posting more on this board.

-Mike
Hey Mike,

I own a Audi A4 1.8T AWD. I bought it 3 years ago when it only had 20k miles on it. A month later I discovered that I had a vacum leak and that was not covered under the warranty, total repair cost was $700. Since then I have replaced my air mass meter which cost me $350, two O2 sensors bank 1 & bank 2 that cost me $800. Most recently with only 55k miles on it my fly wheel went out on me along with my clutch. Total repair cost $1900! Then again keep in mind that labor rates for these cars are around $90 an hour. I have done but nothing but pour hard earned money into this car. This is my first Audi and my last! I have dash board problems every once in a while with the display, which is really weird. Way too many problems with a car with only 55k miles on it. I wonder if I decided to keep it after 75k miles on it what type of problems I would been seeing? I don't want to know! basically I purchased a glorified VW Jetta for $22k back in 03, bad mistake. Something to consider since this engine 1.8T has a record of nothing but problems. I usually get around 22 miles to the gallon due to the Quattro. Good luck if you decide to purchase just have a credit card handy with a large open balance ready.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think, bottom line... you'll have problems with any vehicle you own... from little things to major things... yes an audi is more expensive to fix than a chevy, but an audi holds it value MUCH better and is a MUCH better built vehicle. Each vehicle and each manufacturer has their ups and downs...

Repairs also dont have to be too expensive, get a repair manual and go at most projects yourself... Ive been a DIYer since before my first car, I cant even imagine what ive saved by not going to dealers/mechanics!

·
Registered
18 Posts
i have also a 2001 a4 1.8t quattro ,and i drived passat 1,8t before ,both did not create any problem ,i am driving my a4 from one year around 15-20 k ,no problem ,it is a little bit luck,but audi is not a car having problem always ,also have you ever drived this audi ,i mean did you dirved quattro audi ? ,it is fantastic ,it is not an ordinary 4X4 ,try it in the curve in a road , it is increadble. don 't afraid to pust the gas pedal in the curve ,just try it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
true but the engine compartment on the audi's is so small it's nearly impossible to get to alot of the parts. i.e. ever try replacing or cleaning the air mass meter? what a challenge to even remove the top plastic cover along with the wiring. I'm able to do basic maintenance such as oil changes and etc. but the average person out there is not going to know how to replace brakes and change out fly wheel's on these cars. I guess my only concern is when my mechanic is telling me that I need to dump this car because it's a money pit and he's seen way too many 1.8T's come through the shop with numerous major problems. If he was a smart man he would be telling me opposite so that he can rack in the dough! You may have problems bottom line with any vehicle, but chances are greater with this car & year vs. any Japanese car out there no comparison. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
true ,risk is higher than a japan ,it is real,japan creates problem very very rare ,but this is a choice ,low fuel consumption ,no mechanic and electronic problem is a japan car , high fuel consumption and more problems is an audi ok you are right ,but on the other hand ,an incredible stabilit feeling, turbo performance in the 2000-4250 rpm ,nearly no voice of rain and road ,high quality material inside ,more safety ,more prestije and quattro ,if you need a car especially for transportation problem ,a quattro is not that car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts