Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a 2004 A4 1.8T a little while back and its been running good, however, I did have a power window issue a month ago. The front driver side window started going up and down, getting stuck, and not responding. It turned out that the window regulator was broken and needed to be replaced.

NOW - the front passenger side window is doing the same thing. I heard it make a similar noise to the first time it happened and the window went up and down randomly when I tried to close it. I got the window up and haven't used it - I figure I'll get it fixed instead of having it get stuck being open...

Has anyone else had problems with their window regulators? Is it common for two of them to go around the same time? Could this be symptomatic of other problems looming?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

I picked up a 2004 A4 1.8T a little while back and its been running good, however, I did have a power window issue a month ago. The front driver side window started going up and down, getting stuck, and not responding. It turned out that the window regulator was broken and needed to be replaced.

NOW - the front passenger side window is doing the same thing. I heard it make a similar noise to the first time it happened and the window went up and down randomly when I tried to close it. I got the window up and haven't used it - I figure I'll get it fixed instead of having it get stuck being open...

Has anyone else had problems with their window regulators? Is it common for two of them to go around the same time? Could this be symptomatic of other problems looming?
touch wood, iv never seen one go, let alone two :eek: do you live or has the car close to the sea ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
touch wood, iv never seen one go, let alone two :eek: do you live or has the car close to the sea ?
Alas, my 2004 S4 with about 60k miles on it (and thus out of warranty) has had both front window regulators go -- and I certainly don't "live" in my car as I have about a 7 mile drive to and from my work office. Previous owner had the car only about a year and put 30k miles on it; must have been rolling the windows up and down constantly? I think not. Clearly a poor design or manufacturing flaw. Too bad they didn't fail while in warranty. Just had to replace an expensive starter as well. Ah well, if I wanted reliability over drivability, I guess I'd have a Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
7 Posts
A4-03 Quattro window down

OK folks.
Here is the same problem with A4'03 Quattro 3.0L.
A month ago right passenger window gets down, brought it to "Tune-Ups", they fix it with regulator. Now after one month it's left one - same deal. And right rear window quit working either(!!!). Then I assuming it's will come to front side.

My Question here: is above is right assumption and it'll be easier to replace them all at ones?
Based on the age of this "modern marvel" what could I possibly expect in the near future?

And here something more to complete my state of Great Individual Depression.
All paint has peeled off of front console electronic unit, switches EVERYWHERE looks like sh*** with cracks and flakes(4 years, Jesus!). Leather over front seats is horrible, even applying some conditioner every other weekend since last year.
I assume that dealer forgot to tell me that I'll have to keep this vehicle in air-conditioned garage with certain temperature, pressure and moisture level setup.
And gas consumption... (O-oh my Double Sweetened Rama-Krishna Lord Superstar!!!) is seems to be higher then my 99 Suburban.(SOS.SOS.SOS)
How lousy this car - it's beyond believe. Did Germans make this specifically for us to get deeper and deeper into foreign oilcoholism?

I guess I'll have to drag this trough my whole life now...
Still paying for this chizel. I am so sorry for myself.
Is there any foundation for such cases to go and cry for relief?

I am sincerely apologize to say all of this before such community where may be some individuals who has valued this car very high.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with the front passenger window last month. Window would go down and up making a grinding noise, it would get stuck, finally left it alone once i got back up. I had the Audi dealership replace the regulator, they say is a very common problem with the A4s. Audi charged me $50 deductible only as the car still under CPO warranty.

2004 A4 1.8T ultrasport BLK

·
Registered
15 Posts
Audi A4

I also have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T. And The Passenger Side Window Regulator Went Out. I was talking with a dealer and he said to get an off brand non oem window regulator. Because the ones from audi break alot. Im not sure what im gonna do yet. Im only 16 so that $150 price is alot, i took the door apart and got the window up and left it alone but while is was in there i noticed that the only thing that broke was the cable. I hate to pay that much when thats all that is wrong with it.

(also im not sure if your esp button in the upper left corner of the stereo of the car paint chipped but that another issue with mine)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thankfully none of the paint's been chipping on my '04 yet but I feel your pain with the window regulator. I spent nearly three hours diagnosing the problem and taking apart the panel. The cheesy plastic piece that the motor mounts to is all chewed up thanks to the ingenious design...

Hey panamared, keep me updated on your progress and I'll do the same. It sounds like we might be of some help to each other throughout this ordeal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

This is my update so far. I ordered the part and had it shipped to me from the local Audi dealer. Then took it to a certified audi repair shop locally and they will install the part for 100.00 :) got the regulator for 157.99! Beats takin it to Audi for the service.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I love having my driver's side door dismantled. :l It's incredibly fun to be unable to use the keyless remote to do anything. I can hear the echo of the road, can't roll my windows down, my backseat is taken up by a panel and misc parts... great times.

Thanks for letting me vent.

By the way, while I await my part have any of you guys tried to replace the cables yourselves? In other words, how hard is it to re-thread them back into the assembly?

·
Registered
25 Posts
You can try but the guy that replaced mine use to work for audi and he said that once they go bad there bad because the wire starts to shred in pieces and there's nothing you can do about it but if you want to try i don't see what it would hurt.

i got to see the window regulator that makes it raise and lower and i think its a bad set up i have a 2002 envoy and they haven't went bad (knock on wood) and i use my windows all the time when.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone who has had a problem with window regulators on the 04 Audi A4 needs to complain to audi usa! I recently did and they informed me that the more people that complain the more likely there is to be a recall and if you have had them fixed we can seek possible reimbursement

·
Registered
56 Posts
Anyone who has had a problem with window regulators on the 04 Audi A4 needs to complain to audi usa! I recently did and they informed me that the more people that complain the more likely there is to be a recall and if you have had them fixed we can seek possible reimbursement
Yeayer!!! That's great news!! I'm getting on Audi USA right now and giving them my opinion regarding this issue. Continue spreading the word! Having this part recalled would be a breath of fresh air especially if my other doors go south as well.

I just purchased the part off ebay for $120 and saved a few bucks. :D

Thanks panamared.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Aftermarket Window Reg.

I finally finished the window regulator project. The new part I received is awesome. All of the plastic parts are replaced with metal so I'm hoping that this one lasts longer than the original. After spending $6 on door panel clips at Audi and throwing back a few cold ones :beer:my driver's side window is back in business. :D

One word of advise; be sure that all parts are installed, connected, etc. I left the noise dampener on the roof of my car and didn't think about it until after I reinstalled the panel... I was far from happy when I had to go back to Audi for more panel clips. :banana:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
04 A4 I got my passenger side as far as the first photo you uploaded with the metal plate in the door. And could not figure out how to get that piece out. How did you get yours out?

·
Registered
56 Posts
04 A4 I got my passenger side as far as the first photo you uploaded with the metal plate in the door. And could not figure out how to get that piece out. How did you get yours out?
Are you talking about the large metal plate that covers the entire door? You have to work through the access holes by putting your arms in awkward positions. Have you removed everything else? i.e. speaker, window motor etc? I highly recommend getting one of those little telescopic mirrors and a flashlight if you haven't gotten one already.
I'll walk you through it the best I can so feel free if you have any more questions
:D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Panamared, if you're talking about the window rails, there are two torx-25 screws that hold them in place at the top of the door. If you remove the inner insulation you'll see what I'm talking about. A right angled tool similar to a generic alan wrench (L-shaped) comes in handy here. There isn't a lot of room to work. My guess is that Audi has their own special tool for this location. You'll also need to get the glass out at this point if you haven't done so already.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts