Audi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,,

i noticed my power steering fluid was low the other day (not chekced it for about 30K!) and when i came to top it up the fluid was the clear/yellow power steering fluid like what Mercs use..

Rang 4 Audi dealers and they said it should be GREEN as that the only one they use..

So i got some more clear and topped it up as i would have had to drain the full system if frilling with a different type of fluid..

has anyone come across this in the past??

Cheers

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yea my mates a mechanic and he told me about that. Something about having to use green mineral fluid on audis. Not sure what difference it makes.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
add food coloring :grin:

but seriously though... my steering fluid is always dropping... til the point where my wheels make that awful squeeking noise i used stp and that is fine for me

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i know... Audi say the Green mineral oil... but as mine been filled with the other in the past i have to use that or have to drain the system as the 2 oil wont bond..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello

My A4 (new October 2004) power steering was almost empty at just 12000kms! The dealer checked it out at the 15k service but could find no leaks. I use the recommended "green" fluid part no. G002000. Recently I checked the fluid again (22k) and it was about half. Other cars I have had do not use fluid at this rate. Just one of those things I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a problem the other day

The steering in my b6 was nasty and sounded like it was grinding! I checked the P/S fluid and it was bone dry. So i ran across the road and got some Havoline p/s fluid, which was red. However, Audi says i should only be using their stuff and they can't recommended anything but there stuff!

I took it in and they found a leaky pipe which they clamped back on. And top it off for me with their stuff. So now i have Green and Red stuff in it! Is my P/S going to go bang?

I was thinking i can use a Turkey baster to remove any oil out of the resivour and just use the green stuff. Is this a stupid idea or not?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Lol HarisMic Audi just want you to use theres so they can charge you silly amounts of money !!!

I had the same problem when i put my car in for service at Audi , they spotted i didnt have the Green type but as i bought the car from an independant car dealer they changed all the fluids so i knew they were fine...

They also highlighted that because it wasnt the VAG recommended fluid it could do some damge to the power steering !! Nonsense i thought ...

They then kindly offered to releive me of £81 for a drain off of old fluid and reinstatement of the green type they swear by , but im not that stupid with my money and still running fine on the different spec fluid !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was thinking that too! but the gits make u worry!

When i took it in the topped it off and hooked the hose back up for $23 which i thought wasn't bad i was expecting a full hrs work to be charged at $110 + tax

How long ago did u fill up ur powersteering fluid?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ONE TIP!!! DO NOT MIX THE OILS!!! THE Red stuff and green stuff do not bond together.. in simple terms, creating air pockets in the fluid..

the Audi the genuine stufuf is green... however i had yellow in mine ... so only top up now with merc yellow fluid..

Just top it up with the same colour which is in there.

RiCKT

·
Registered
46 Posts
RickT said:
ONE TIP!!! DO NOT MIX THE OILS!!! THE Red stuff and green stuff do not bond together.. in simple terms, creating air pockets in the fluid..

the Audi the genuine stufuf is green... however i had yellow in mine ... so only top up now with merc yellow fluid..

Just top it up with the same colour which is in there.

RiCKT
Hey Rick! Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delayed reaction.

i understand where your coming from however my problem is i have mainly red stuff in there and then Audi went and topped it off with Green stuff.

So now what?

·
Registered
1 Posts
power steering fluid

alryt ive gota s3 and it was makin a whinein noise when i started it up and moved the steering wheel so i cheak the power steering fluid and found it was bone dry so ive put sum car lube red power steerin fluid in and had no problems yet. every car manufacture says to use there stuff, if they didnt they wudnt mek tht extra bit money 4 there selvs and get a sale. ive had no problems usin it lyk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the mineral fluid is recommended for your car, but you dont have to buy it. you can either google the audi part number G002000 or you can go and get Pentosin chf 11s. its about 20$US and is in most auto parts stores (you can also order it online, not sure about UK tho)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Pwr String

Mixing = Bad, Even if you have a "bone dry" reservoir there is still the original or what you last added in it. Air pockets like mentioned earlier can occur. And yes using stuff besides the recommended green mineral oil wears and tears on the aluminum parts. I did quite a bit of forum searching to find this out. This is just like the coolant you use, it can not just be the cheap wal-mart brand. These engines have a lot of aluminum in them that reacts with the cheapo stuff and causes sludge etc.

I am sure you will be fine, just don't mix. Just a heads up though, it is not expensive, I paid like $17 USD for a pint that lasts me a year or more. Audi sells it in their parts dept.

Good Luck! :mellow:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts