Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, need help i think, just bought my Coupe Quattro 1991 Brilliant drive but im getting a loud knock/bang when i go over a bumb, i took it to a local garage who said its to do with the front suspension as there is some movement in it, but didnt sound to sure. he said it shouldn't be a problem and not to worry about it as it doesn't happen all the time, has anyone experienced this before? should i be worried or not? any response would be greatful :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes this seems to be fairly common to Audi's and VW. I got the same prob with my '98 A4. The most sold bit at the the local eurocarparts is suspension links! Talking to a mate of mine who's got VW Passat, it is the lower ones that give up on them, also known as <veh side> lower rear control arm. Basically, the lower suspension balljoint. This will result in an MOT failure if any play is detected, but sometimes they are noisy, but will not show any noticeable play.
If the garage spotted them, I'd consider replacing them, possibly yourself, if you're handy with tools - this will save you a few quid. Parts are not cheap, esp from Audi, worth looking at places like www.eurpocarparts.com, www.gsfcarparts.com and phoning your local branch for a quote/availability.
Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
:460: Yes I have the same problem with my 1993 A6 they told me it was a worn Shock absorber bracket (The one located inside the engine bay on top of the shock). It costed me R 700 which translates to about 80 pound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts