Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97-GLX Jetta VR-6. Problem is with the brake lights. The brake lights work fine during the day but, at night, when I turn the headlight switch to the "on" position, not only do the tail lights come on but, also the brake lights, and they stay on !! I believe there is a short in the circuit somewhere. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas on how to resolve this matter? THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL THAT REPLY

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Welcome to the forum gsxr1100 (nice bike by the way) :)

Have you had the back light clusters out to check for signs of any corrosion on the fitting/ twiddle the bulbs and connecting wire light block about while the lights are on to see if you can clear the fault?

could be a bad earth somewhere on the circuit ?

If you cant resolve it by doing any of the above might be worth getting it down to a local Auto electricain with testing equipment etc who should be able to sort it out.

Good luck with fixing it and let us know what you find .

Cheers T-sport

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Have you replaced the rear tails light bulbs recently???????? all im saying is sometimes manafacture books state a dual filoment bulb when actually its a single filoment... so what happens is when you turn the lights on it lights both up to look like brake lights as well as tail lights??????????

is the brake and tail lights on the same bulb??????? check this out before anything... or does the center LED brake light comes on as well?? if it does not then its a bulb issue!!

let us know how you get on!

Rickt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, It was the bulb, My son mistakenly replaced a burnt out single element bulb with a dual element one. Thanks for your help !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts