Audi Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am having problems with my 09 3.2 a5 fsi with 20k on it. The car seems to be burning oil. there is no smoke at startup nor leaking visible under car in driveway or CEL. Every 610-620 mile the low oil light comes on. I have the MMI in the car and it says Please add max 1qt etc.

I had the oil consumption test done and dealer said "I passed with flying colors" yet no one seems to be able to answer my question of how I passed when I returned at 620 documented miles with my low oil light on and a min level on dipstick. The Audi manual states .5qt/600 miles as within normal range. I live in the U.S by the way. I owned a 2.0t fsi and that car needed about 1qt between 5k oil changes but nothing like this A5 does. I know-different motor but I am aware that engines are fine that use some oil.

My car did not come with a dipstick so I bought one well before the test to confirm I was low on oil because I suspected that I had a sensor problem. When I returned for the consumption test to be completed I was low on oil because the oil was at the min on the dipstick and MMI/ radio screen had the min/add max 1qt oil light message. Dealer told me to not add oil during test-ovisouly. This has been the trend for the past 3k miles.

I just can't understand how I was able to pass the test with a low oil light on and low dipstick reading at 620 miles documented. Service could not tell me what the oil use to milage ratio was when i picked up the car after they did the test dont;t know why becuase AOA said they should of. Service person said "I don't have those numbers" I called AOA and they got me the reading of .42/1000miles. AOA said they had to go buy what the dealer said.

I am not the type to bash dealers or mechanics or anything that is why I am not saying which dealer I went to etc. I politely asked the service person "how could I pass when the Low oil light is on at 620 miles verified by dipstick and MMI screen and he had no answer other than you passed the test and "100's of cars come in that need oil between recommended service intervals. I would hope if 100's of cars came that went through 1 qt of oil in 620 documented miles than there would be a massive recall or something. At the start of the test when I first brought the car in the foreman told me the difference between the MAX and MIN markings on the dipstick represent 1qt that is why when the level get's the min mark the message say's add max 1qt.

I really need to get to the bottom of this because I am not enjoying the car as I should be and I feel like I am not getting honest service Keep in mind I am pretty much a die hard Audi fan and would be lying to you if I said I would not buy another one cause i would. If anyone can explain to me why the oil is showing min with the min oil light on after 610-620 miles that would be wonderful. I check the oil 15 minutes after driving and cold the next morning after the car has sat overnight and it reads the same Min mark when I am low with the min oil message on. MMI actually seems accurate. I read that some people were getting fickle readings but mine seems to be dependable. When I brought the car into the dealer because of the low oil light initially the foreman said "yup your low, let's do the consumption test".

I really want to get this remedied because I have a few other issues slow clutch come back and steering wheel shake at 60-75mph that I have to tend to but the oil thing is first on my list. I know about the control arm bushing fix. Other than those problems the car is fantastic and I do love it.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
the official figure is 0.75 liters per 1000km.
the oil test must ensure the oil is drained fully and then the new quantity weighed before adding
then the mileage is driven and the oil is drained at normal temp and allowed to drain completely then re weighed to calculate the difference.If the consumption test passes but the oil level is incorrect then I would look at the adaption channels in address 01 and 17 to ensure they are correct for oil level min/max.
Also as with the earlier 3.2 check the breather system oil separator for failure allowing oil into the inlet manifold.
There is also the possibility of human error when carrying out the consumption test

Test tool for oil level display -T40178-

Engine oil temperature at least 60 °C.
Vehicle must be level (horizontal).
Wait a few minutes after switching off the engine to allow the oil to flow back into the sump.

A00-10330.png
Setting of adjuster ring at top of scale 132

Maximum oil level on bottom scale 13

Maximum oil level on bottom scale 0

If there is evidence of consumption then its either a problem with the oil separator
A17-10207.png

or the cylinder bore linings are marked allowing oil to pass the rings

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Audi a8 Tech I do appreciate the advice. Will there be any engine codes if the breather system oil separator is messed. I am not getting and cel's.

Also are there any other symptoms that would occur if the if the cylinder bore linings are marked like drivability, lack of power, smoke out the tail pipe etc.

You are the only person I could find that was able to give me some info out of all the various forums I posted my question on. I think the dealer that sold me the car is stalling because of the laws where I reside. The car has to be mechanically sound for X number of days and X number of months although there still is the possibility that my car is within spec it is just a theory or it's one of the boarder line cases where they know its using up oil but not enough to warrant a inspection.

I am going to another dealer and will print this post to help guide the process. If this dealer finds the same info-I am within spec that I will accept the fact I was wrong. I just wish I got one of the cars that don't use up too much oil between changes even if it was within spec. I know there are some 3.2's out there from feedback on various forums that rarely use any oil at all between service intervals. I know that does not represent all a5's but it would of been nice to own one of those. The foreman said in his experience he never saw any 3.2's use much oil between changes before we started the test. Sadly I did not get to talk to him after only service adviser.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
3.2 v engine can use oil but most causes are the oil seperator failing allowing oil to enter the intake and burn but also the cylinder linings can become marked hence the coating of the bores can be seen to have black spots allowing small quantity's of oil to pass but this can be checked via a endoscope without the need to strip the engine.
Or simply remove the plugs and check for excess carbon or oil on the plugs to localize the cylinder
I would ensure firstly a second workshop under takes the consumption test to rule out any errors from the first workshop.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will schedule another consumption test at a different dealer. I still have the std warranty till 50k so hopefully before that is over in the next few years I will have got this issue figured out if there is an issue.

I am going to pull the plugs and see if there is oil on them or deposits before i bring the car in for the consumption test so I know. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for your help again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the plugs- this is the worst one on the right side of the motor. All the plugs seamed a little dark on the right side of the engine compared to the left side. This is the worst plug. It is on the cylinder furthest towards the fire wall not towards the front of the car on the right side of the engine. Car is an 09 with 20k miles. I just want to proceed with this the best way possible because the dealer has not been really helpful thus far. Let me know what you think and I promise I will stop bothering you:)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I would check the manifolds for carbon build up and inspect the cylinder bore suspect right for cylinder markings pay attention for black marks on the bore where the rings have rubbed through the bores coating.

There will be no marks that can be felt with your nails but if there is signs of black markings which are not uniform with the rest of bore then that's the cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks again a8 tech you really helped me out. Unfortunately I don't know how to take the manifold off. I am not really a mechanic just a car lover. Hopefully with the pictures of my plugs I will be able to prove that my car is not running right considering no one seems to believe me at the workshop I bring it to.

I am going to wait for the low oil/add oil light at 610 miles then I will bring it back in. I have invoices with exact in/out milage from the last time when they weighed the oil for the completion of the consumption test. I will try another workshop this time and hopefully they will have me do another test so they can see if for themselves. I have no problem paying for this one being that the last I did not have to.

I got a little blue smoke at startup this morning. It could of been happening for a while and I did not see it but today there was definitely a little puff of blue smoke upon startup. I looked this time because of the condition of the plugs.

There also always has been a slight hesitation when I would roll on the throttle lightly at low rpm. It felt like it would bog down for a nano second then rpm's would build normally. I can hear the exhaust bog for a split second. I just thought it was a characteristic of the engine but now I am no thinking so. I have never driven another 3.2 so I cant tell if that is normal. It Almost feels like a bad coil pack for a split second. Had those go bad on me several times on my 1.8t gti and A3 2.0t but the engine light has never went off in my current car like it did on my other cars with the confirmed bad coil packs and misfires.

Thanks again for your help it's going into different dealer next week. I just wish I did not have to go through this to prove something is wrong with my car.

I have a feeling that the bore wall is marked letting oil through as you mentioned before. I think the plugs are a good picture that something is wrong. There is just too much variation between them. Some looked what seamed to be normal and the bad plug stuck out like a sore thumb. I have pulled plugs in my old cars and never did any look like the plug in the picture i attached they all looked the same. I took pictures of them all so i can show the dealer the variation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just to update-l Audi is putting in a new engine. There was wear on the cylinder wall. I was always nice but persistant and eventually with lot's of luck from a very special person over at Audi Germany things got handled. Once the problem got farther then my local dealer's things changed real quick.

I beleive the process is really what is at fault with problems like this. My car was on record burning .83qt per 1000-1200 miles in the winter and during the summer i beleive it would be more if i performed the test at that time. I was told it was within spec and no action would be taken so i never gave up and it paid off.

In the end Audi U.S and Audi Germany took very good care of me and I will for sure be buying another.

Thank you for your help A8 Tech without you i never would of pulled the plugs and being that i did really helped my cause so big thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Thank you and its a good result well done audi and well done you

1 - 10 of 10 Posts