Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Completely new to the forum, audi's and TDi's! I have just bought an A4 2.5V6 TDi on a 98.

Everything seems fine, apart from a knocking noise on front n/s suspension (I believe common fault). But more worringly? I think? On start-up from cold there is a knocking noise for a few seconds (literally) then it's fine. I have looked under the bonnet and the plastic V6 cover only has two clips out of 4 to hold it on, therefore it wobbles a bit. Or if it's not that is it normal, or is something wrong?

Please...............someone help!

Many thanks,

John

·
Registered
13 Posts
Have a look at the oil filter and make sure it is a good make.
The cheap ones usually don't have a non return valve in them.

There are also some check valves in the engine itself which are supposed to hold oil in the upper regions of the engine which might be failing.
Don't forget the cam followers are hydraulic as well and need to fill with oil to work quietly.

Might be worth doing an oil and filter change as a precaution to make sure it has oil suited to the Audi as well. You don't know what the previous guy put in unless the last service was at an Audi dealer.

i have mine serviced at a local garage and I take the oil and filter in and say "Use this" just in case.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts