Audi Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2003 A4 (Amulet Red) from the dealer just over a month ago.
Was gleaming on the day I picked it up, plus the sun was shinning!

Two days later I moved house and the past few weeks have been taken sorting all that out.
I recently noticed that the paintwork appeared blotchy (small marks all over the body) I thought to myself, those lazy sods at the dealer, waxed the car without washing it!!

Trouble is when I looked at it its as if it is under the laquer. I bought some scratch and swirl remover and tested it on a 4 inch square area but it didnt make any difference. Whats more I was able to scratch the laquer with my fingernails.

I havent noticed this kind of thing on any car I have owned and am a bit worried about it.

I its almost as if it is covered in stone chips and I am wondering if it had a re-spray?!

I have used a product called T-Cut (back home in the UK) but I dont know if I can get that in the US or if it is ok to use on the Audi.

I wonder if I should go back to the dealer.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
sdj1704 said:
Bought a 2003 A4 (Amulet Red) from the dealer just over a month ago.
Was gleaming on the day I picked it up, plus the sun was shinning!

Two days later I moved house and the past few weeks have been taken sorting all that out.
I recently noticed that the paintwork appeared blotchy (small marks all over the body) I thought to myself, those lazy sods at the dealer, waxed the car without washing it!!

Trouble is when I looked at it its as if it is under the laquer. I bought some scratch and swirl remover and tested it on a 4 inch square area but it didnt make any difference. Whats more I was able to scratch the laquer with my fingernails.

I havent noticed this kind of thing on any car I have owned and am a bit worried about it.

I its almost as if it is covered in stone chips and I am wondering if it had a re-spray?!

I have used a product called T-Cut (back home in the UK) but I dont know if I can get that in the US or if it is ok to use on the Audi.

I wonder if I should go back to the dealer.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Take a clay bar to the paint first to see if you can shear off the splotches. I would not use anytype of paint scratch and swirl remover on the car. That stuff wears down the paint. Clay bar and wax!

Good Luck and keep us updated on the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Protective film????

Like what you get on your appliances when they arrive??

I wouldnt have thought so as it is a 2003 not new......

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was an interesting read, almost sounds like that is what it is as it looks like water marks or bubbles under the clear coat. Can it be easily removed, to be honest I think it would look better without right now.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
SDJ1704 - if it is the film which is on there i would suggest maybe you drop a post onto that thread asking for further advice regarding the removal of it as some of the guys there have the experiance to advise..

i would love to help but never "played" in this subject so i dont want to advise incorrectly..(if it was me i would attempt to remove it "somehow" and take it from there!)

throw a post on there and see what comes up..

Cheers

RickT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took the car back to the dealer today, as I had thought the marks are under the clear coat and possibly caused by acid rain.
The dealer said they have a company that comes in and "buffs out" such occurances.
I asked what was involved and if it was something I could do, he said it might be best to leave it to the professionals. He explained that they sand it without burning the paint..... maybe he used the wrong terminology as sanding didnt sound good!

Anyway, he is going to try to schedule an appointment for me....

I intend on having the dealer pick up the cost but I will pull that one out when I get the bill.

We will see.....
Thanks
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
nice one... well if the dealer does not say "you" have to pay just go along with it.

Then when the companty who repair the car tell them to collect payment from Audi as Audi booked the appointment for you under warenty and you was under the impression Audi were sorting the problem out as you had no been told you would be liable for costs.

Cheers

RickT

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
haha yea stick it back to them :) for trying to get 1 over on you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts