Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something stinks in my car! Everytime I turn the heat on, which is a lot recently out here in Boston, when the car is sitting still a terrible smell comes through the blowers. It's kind of smokey, a mixture of burnt rubber and overheated coolant. The car isn't overheating, in fact unlike my girlfriends 2001 A4 it doesnt get right up to operating temperature and stay there. Like If im driving on the highway it will stay a little under middle point. WHAT'S THE DEAL!!
Anyone had a similar problem or any ideas? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and when i turn the blowers/heat off the smell goes away. The other day I stopped the car and looked under the hood and I could see some visible smoke/vapor coming from the front left of the engine compartment (left as your facing towards the car) from what appeared to be under the air intake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gasket leak. I dont know the tech terms but I had it happen to my 98 a6. I had just gotten and the dealer replaced both at no charger to me. Said it was about a 1,200 job. Same exact symptoms you are reporting. Smell of burnt oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by toddinny@Jan 24 2005, 08:00 PM
Gasket leak. I dont know the tech terms but I had it happen to my 98 a6. I had just gotten and the dealer replaced both at no charger to me. Said it was about a 1,200 job. Same exact symptoms you are reporting. Smell of burnt oil.
Had a similar problem with oil seepage between the v on the block to my 95 a6 2,8. The repair wasnt cheap , the vehicle had done over 240 000km and still very strong. Iam wanting to buy another one with low mileage , but not the newer shape. LOvely vehicle. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem on my 2000 A6 Avant. Camshaft seals need to be replaced. I went to an independent Audi Repair shop. If you live in the Boston area you may want to check him out. The name of the shop is SRS ( Shine Racing Service) in Walpole Mass. unfortunately I do not have the phone number. Good Luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
this most certainly sounds like a heater core seal/gasket has failed, which is the cause of your blower/interior contamination (smell). jmo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
I have a 95 A6 2.8 Quattro with 162000 kms that I am considering selling. It is Dark metallic Green. If interested let me know, I will get you more information.
Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts