Audi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to 'Audi', and have just bought an A4 1.9TDI.

I have a message come up telling me the car is due an oil service.

Does anyone know, exactly, what is carried out on an 'oil service'? If it is just the oil that is changed, I'll do it myself, but then I'll need to reset the 'Inspection' message on my dashboard. Does anyone know how to reset the message? The car has done 138k.
I had a Golf before, and the service lights were reset on the dashboard. I was wondering if Audi's are the same.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey butch, I think you and I are going to have to go to Audi to have them reset the dash warning system - unless we want to shell out $300+ for an instrument that does it.

I just put my a4 up on ramps to change the oil, and found that i have to go buy a special driver to take off the oil pan plug - damn audi. I also have to remove the plastic skid plate to get at the oil filter.

Oh well - it is a nice car after all - but silly to have to buy a tool to get that plug off.

good luck with your dash system....I may just let my message remain.

P

·
Registered
17 Posts
An oil service is just that... an oil service, new filter and oil. You would also want to check your other fluids to make sure you are good to go. Look in the owners manual, it tells you when and what to do for maintenance.

You can remove the service reminder with the knobs on the instrument cluster. Here are the directions for a 2001 A4 1.8TQM.

Resetting service interval display with adjustment buttons for trip recorder and clock.

- Switch ignition off.

- Press trip recorder reset button -2- on instrument cluster and at same time switch ignition on.

The trip recorder display -3- will read "service OIL".

- Release button.
- Pull clock adjuster button -1- on instrument cluster and hold for approx. 2 seconds. This resets "service OIL" display.

Note:

Depending on the make of the instrument cluster, the display on the trip recorder will either continue to read "service OIL" (Nippon Seiki) or change to "- - -" (VDO).

- Press trip recorder reset button -2- again to advance to next type of service.
- Release button.

The trip recorder display -3- will read "service INSP".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Pull clock adjuster button -1- on instrument cluster and hold for approx. 2 seconds. This resets "service INSP" display.

Note:

Depending on the make of the instrument cluster, the display on the trip recorder will either continue to read "service INSP" (Nippon Seiki) or change to "- - -" (VDO).

- Switch ignition off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Make sure you get Audi's Oil Filter. It's much better and improves oil flow. There only 7bucks in the states. Use Mobil 1 oil. My Uncle is a petroelum engineer for an oil company and says they make the best car oil. Meets all audi standards. Look in your service manual also what's done during that service.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 97 a4 2.8 and i have tried all the various ways on the internet... i still get the same annoyin in1 message on the dash. Can anyone help? I was hoping someone knew a way that would remove it knowing it will work....any ideas...thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
you need a VAG-COM computer interface unit to reset the service reminders. you can buy one (400$) or have any audi dealer reset is for you.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
he obviously had no idea what he was talking about. pull around back to the shop bays and one of the guys there will hook you up. the software and the interface are identical for audi/vw. if you can do it on a VW you can do it on an audi.

·
Registered
68 Posts
ya i went today lol....this idiot at the desk insisted on it not working since it was not a volkswagen so now i have to drive 30mins away instead of 3mins just to get the in1 message removed, and not to mention pay a dealer charge

·
Registered
12 Posts
my 2002 a4 service reminder was reset however there is a blank for the next service due.
Is there any way I can enter the info example kms and days till next service myself????

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
The blanks will turn into numbers once the oil interval has been worked out by thermal load of the oil from the oil sensor, this will take a couple of hundred miles.....ish.

All it knows at the moment is that its been reset so it is checking the oil quality, this is normal for this age of A4, be patient.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for your quick reply.
I was just worried that maybe I would have to take it into audi just to get them to reset it again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 97 A4 1.8T has never given me a service interval light. I've had it since 80K, now has 124K mi. I have also looked for how to reset the service interval on the net several times in case it does appear, but never found anything. Could someone have turned it off permanently? Do they stop coming on after 75K (when the maintenance schedule ends in the manual)?

FWIW: I'm pretty sure the Vag-coms at AutoZone will reset it for you. You can borrow them for free (just gotta leave your DL with them while you borrow it).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oil and service reset procedure:
A4 1998-1999
Press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. "OIL" or "SERVICE OIL" will appear in display.
Release button. Pull out button on left side of instrument panel until "---" or "SERVICE ---" appears in display. Turn ignition off.

A4 2000-2001
With ignition off, press and hold button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. Release button. "SERVICE!" or
"SERVICE IN xxxx MI" will appear in display. Turn button on left side of instrument panel to the left until display clears. Turn ignition off.

A4 2002-onwards

With ignition off, press and hold middle button on right side of instrument panel. Turn ignition to the "ON" position. Release button. "SERVICE!" or
"SERVICE IN xxxx MI" will appear in display. Press right hand button on right side of instrument panel until display clears. Turn ignition off.

more Oil service light reset procedure

1 - 18 of 18 Posts