Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, I hope someone can help me with this. I have a 2001 audi A4 1.8T and while I am driving the oil light goes off and start blinking and then it goes away. Is there anything I can do to my audi so I can get this warning ligth stop.
Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look up "Oil Sludge" in the forums and take immediate steps to desludge the engine. It's a good thing to do, even if it turns out only to be an electrical or sender issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your oil light is coming on either because you are low on oil or have low oil pressure. If it is oil low pressure it can be a mulitude of factors, oil pump, timing chain tensioner, clogged oil screen on oil pump.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by edwingpd@Feb 12 2006, 03:22 PM
Hello to everyone, I hope someone can help me with this.  I have a 2001 audi A4 1.8T and while I am driving the oil light goes off and start blinking and then it goes away.  Is there anything I can do to my audi so I can get this warning ligth stop. 
Thanks

The first thing to do is take it your audi dealership. There is a issue with the 1.8T A4 motors sludging up due to lack of oil changes and non synthetic oil and small oil holding capacity. Originally, the A4's had a 10,000 mile oil change interval using non synthetic oil and a oil capacity of 3.8 qts. It's audi way of saving money by not using synthetic and extended drain intervals, and now they are paying. Another main cause is the PCV system hoses deteriorate and break apart and get sucked down in the oil pan, the oil seperator does not really work that well, due the design of the system. So, when I have a car with a oil light, I have to first check oilpump pressure, if its not sufficient, I have remove the valve cover and check for cam journal cap damage and remove all the caps. If even one has damage, I have to replace the motor, turbo charger, all oil lines, and pcv system.
If no damage is found, I have to perform a desludge procedure which requires me to clean the whole system of sludge, replace oil pick up tube, replace the turbo oil feed and return lines, and replace all the PCV hoses and some check valves and brake vaccum retrictor booster valve. Anyway, the period for this warranty issue it
8 years and unlimited mileage, as long as the customer can show oil changes being done by the manufacturer's policy(every 10k)
Now audi is using a bigger oil filter that increases oil capacity to 4.3 qts and requires the use of castrol 5W40 synthetic oil in their oil changes. I recomend customers change the oil every 5K. Hope this helps
THen again, do the simple checks first, make sure you have sufficient oil in the car, even if the sender is faulty, dont take and chances andhave the pressure verified.

·
Registered
44 Posts
check your oil level, it could be your oil pump or oil filter also, if its the oil pressure your royally screwed, cause those only come on at 3-5 psi and you need 12-15 psi of pressure for good lubrication, and you may of messed up your engine, also try dropping the oilpan to see if there is any metal shavings in the pan that can reduce your oil flow

1 - 5 of 5 Posts