Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 2.8 Quattro that's smoking.

My wife has been complaining about a burning smell, so during a transmission filter change I let the car idle and found smoke coming from the left (driver's) side manifold. I know that it is oil from somewhere, but I couldn't tell from where. I noticed that the power steering fluid was a little low, but couldn't tell if it is from it or the valve cover gasket leaking. I do not know if this is a common problem with the 2.8 V6, but thought someone out there might be able to guide me in the proper direction.

Appreciate any and all help.

Andy

:wacko:

·
Registered
66 Posts
i have the same problem with my audi a4 2.8 i noticed oil on the manifold cover and replaced the valve cover gasket myself. This was two days ago and i still smell a little oil burning on the manifold but im not sure if it is just leftover or what? I also am still leaking from somewhere because i still notice oil on the sway bar and oil pan. My mechanic said something about oil being blown out from somewhere? Anybody?

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
I had a similar problem oil leak on mine and it turned out to be the crankshaft oil seal gasket had perrished...

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
Steam clean the engine and then have another look, it may be just the rocker cover seal.

·
Registered
66 Posts
still noticing the buring smell as my car ehats up in the morning, i know it is not the valve cover where else do they leak and get on the manifolds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have just bought a 2000 S4. After purchasing the car the first thing I noticed was strong oil smell coming from the vents. I took it to the mechanic. He basically found that both turbos were leaking oil, mostly into the intercoolers. So I ending up replacing both turbos. I have had the car back for couple days and have not smelled the oil smell yet. If it's strong smell I would take it in to get checked out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts