Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to change my prestone (coolant) yesterday and there was a mostly oil in it... my car tells me quite often that I am missing coolant however I'm never missing oil... I do get a puff of white smoke when I start the car but apparently on the 1.8T the head gasket rarely goes and it's most probably the oil cooler? Does anyone know anything about this? Please let me know... I don't wanna spend money for nothing!

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
carm23 said:
I went to change my prestone (coolant) yesterday and there was a mostly oil in it... my car tells me quite often that I am missing coolant however I'm never missing oil... I do get a puff of white smoke when I start the car but apparently on the 1.8T the head gasket rarely goes and it's most probably the oil cooler? Does anyone know anything about this? Please let me know... I don't wanna spend money for nothing!

Thanks
I have the same prob. Its my mates car and have checked the oil cooler and it was not that, i belive the the head gasket has gone but as you mentioned the 'o' rings in the oil cooler leaking can cause oil in tne water as can the head gasket i would get your oil cooler checked first tell me how you got on please

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Carry out a cylinder leakage test to determine and localise the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,528 Posts
sure sounds like a head gasket issue.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Still needs a cylinder leakage test.If you remove the head and find no issue with the gasket your £ down and none the wiser.The metal gaskets is hard to identify any defects so a washed piston is a good indicter.Again it takes half an huur to do and is the only correct method of testing for combustion leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a comp test weeks ago on it, and they were all the same around 170 so the compression test did not show a leak.
Anyway i have the head in my boot and i am off to get it skimmed and crack tested. As the other guy said the steel head gasket shows no sign of leakage but then again half the head gaskets ive replaced have shown no signs of leakage ethier,..... but they were still leaking! i will let you know how it goes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts