Audi Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know but i think me car is due an oil change.

its got 55k on it now and the oil was last changed at 50k by audi before i purchased it.

I've had conflicting suggestions about the oil change.

In the book it says i need a service every 10k but i think thats just Major service

The service guy at Audi says i need to change the oil every 5k @ Audi at $110 + TAX thats kinda a knock in the wallet!

Others have told me that since it takes Synthetic oil i only need to do it every 10k.

Now if it does need an oil change will Jiffy Lube be able to do it? Or is their Synthetic oil not good enough?

What is the weight of the Oil i shoud be using 0w-10?

Thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
On UK cars they have a variable service interval, depending on how you drive the car. Mine goes at least 16000 miles between oil changes.
Apparently the 1,8t is susceptable to sludging so you must use good synthetic but I would suggest this for all engines. In the uk Audi use Castrol SLX. There is a specisl SLX for Audi. It is marked on the bottle. As this oil is expensive I would be weary about using somebody I didnt know to do the change. How do you know thay havnt put some cheap stuff in or maybe I'm being cynical:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
its depends... i change mine every 10k ish... however Audi/VW do a long life service which is 18 to 20 K..

RickT

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have gone around and around trying to find out what exactly is the correct oil weight for my 1994 Audi 90 CS. Why does the internet make this rocket science? I am a normal person with normal cars, the American ones, it is easy to find. I have gone to 6 different sites and either found nothing or different weights. I went to one car parts store and they told me 5w30, another 10w30, when I looked online I found 10w40. Seriously? For crying out loud, I am a computer engineer, this is stupid. I even went the brainless way and LOOKED on the engine block. I don't have an owners manual and it doesn't look like the original is available. Some fly by night company wants 100 bucks for a manual. Seriously? My car is old, it is a work car, paid less than 2 grand for it and was told by an Audi mech that it was solid and if cared for would last a while longer. This is insane. Audiusa.com---NO HELP AT ALL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The numbers on the side of the can...0w40 or 5W40 is the viscosity rating. Depending on the average temperature where you live, this will dictate which viscosity to use. Viscosity is either how thick or thin your oil is. If you stay in a cold climatic region, you'll need a low viscosity oil....and a high viscosity in a hot region.

I'm in South Africa. I use Shell Helix Full Synthetic and I change it every 10 000KM. Your turbo prefers clean oil.
Having said that, these long service intervals between services is only a marketing ploy. Yes it's expensive, but would you prefer spending $70 on a good quality oil and filter or spend BIG $$$$$ for an engine job. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Oil-change intervals depend upon your long-term objectives for your Audi. If you just want to satisfy the requirements for any warranty claims, then just follow the manufacturer's guidelines. If you intend to keep your Audi well beyond the manufacturer's warranty period, then more frequent oil/oil-filter changes will reduce the internal wear of the engine and extend the operational life of your car.

The old adage, "Oil is cheaper than motors", certainly applies for any long-life regimen for your Audi. Full-synthetic motor-oils that meet the Audi/VW specifications are your best oil-selection starting-point. Since most of us have Audi's because we enjoy driving our cars in an enthusiastic manner, engine-oil breakdown will occur; the only question is how much engine-oil degradation are you comfortable sustaining between oil-changes? If you want your Audi to perform at peak performance for as long as possible, shorter oil-change intervals make sense.

Yes, you could send engine-oil samples to any of the firms that perform used engine-oil analysis to determine the condition of your used engine-oil at different oil-change intervals, as part of a program to determine an oil-change regimen specification tailored for your car. However, 5K-miles/6-month (whichever comes first) engine-oil change intervals seem to represent a good balance for most of us. If you enjoy track-days (and what Audi driving enthusiasts don't? :D), most of us like to perform a separate engine-oil/oil-filter service for each track day to counter the additional stresses placed on the engine-lubrication system during a track-day session.

So, the answer to the question of the optimal oil-change interval depends upon your long-term objectives for your Audi; just exercise a bit of common-sense, consult with your favorite forum sponsor and you and your car will be fine... :cool:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks

All those things you supplied, I do know. However, when you have 45 people telling you 45 different things, it is confusing. The auto parts stores in the US have given me 5w30, 10w30 almost everything except baby oil. I just want to know what oil it is that my 1994 Audi 90 CS needs. Sounds pretty simple, not it is like launching a flipping rocket. I appreciate your replies, but a definitive answer is what I need. You are very nice to help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manufacturer's Guidelines?

Manufacturer's Guidelines? I challenge you to find them for me. I am not being a smart ass, I am telling you I have done DAYS, mind you WEEKS of research and NO ONE can give me a definitive answer. One auto parts store looks up my car in a chart and gives me one weight of oil, the other gives me a different one. It is enough to make a person flipping insane. Audi DOES NOT SUPPLY ANYTHING to used Audi owners. They want you to buy a new one. I would like to keep my little work car a little longer. I do however appreciate your attention. I believe I will ride my Ninja during the summer until someone somewhere can tell me what oil to use. Geeeeez.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Manufacturer's Guidelines? I challenge you to find them for me. I am not being a smart ass, I am telling you I have done DAYS, mind you WEEKS of research and NO ONE can give me a definitive answer. One auto parts store looks up my car in a chart and gives me one weight of oil, the other gives me a different one. It is enough to make a person flipping insane. Audi DOES NOT SUPPLY ANYTHING to used Audi owners. They want you to buy a new one. I would like to keep my little work car a little longer. I do however appreciate your attention. I believe I will ride my Ninja during the summer until someone somewhere can tell me what oil to use. Geeeeez.
Trying to locate consistent and valid Audi motor-oil spec information can drive you to insanity, can't it? ;)

Audi does provide a list of approved motor-oils to their dealerships via TSB's (technical service bulletins); but, as you've noted, these documents are not generally made directly available to the Audi customer base. The core specifications are the Audi/VW engine-oil specifications (VW 502.xx and VW 505.xx were the relevant specifications at the time of B6-platform manufacture), which spell-out the test conditions that must be satisfied in the certification test suite. While forum members occasionally post these "approved" motor-oil TSB's, the product formulations are always in a state of flux, which renders the lists irrelevant over time. Therefore, the simplest approach to Audi-approved motor-oil selection is to purchase products that have passed the VW502.xx and VW505.xx motor-oil test suites; just look on the motor-oil container for the list of product certifications.

Your owner's manual does list the motor-oil viscosities applicable to your car's engine; for my 2003 3.0L 30V V6, the factory-fill viscosity rating is SAE 0W-30 (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 5W-40 are noted as valid alternate viscosities). Castrol SYNTEC 0W-30 European Formula and Motul Specific (502.00 / 505.00 / 505.01) 5w-40 are a couple of popular examples of current motor-oils that meet the Audi/VW specifications. So, check your owner's manual in order to determine the relevant oil viscosities, then select a high-quality full-synthetic that meets the VW/Audi motor-oil specifications and you should be "good to go"... :D

Most of the forum sponsors can provide valuable feedback as to which certified motor-oils best match your planned use, based on the experiences of their customers; chat with the forum sponsors and leverage their knowledge base. Now park the bike and get the Audi out on the road... :cool:

·
Registered
123 Posts
what, we have to change the oil??

·
Registered
368 Posts
No, you can run the engine as a factory-sealed unit, if you want to. The trick is to keep the factory-smoke within the engine; if the factory smoke escapes from the motor, you're hosed... :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
ok .. thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Heres my 'two-penneth'.

I have an B6 S4 and an ex race engineer for a father so 'CHANGE THE OIL NOW!!' has been 'drummed into' me since I could say 'car', let alone drive!

Change the oil as often as you can afford....that's the best advice I can give, mine gets new juice every 5k, and to be honest (according to Dad) ANY grade of new oil is better than old oil!

These days, all oil is pretty good, even the cheapest is better than the 'premium' stuff you could buy a few years ago, and unless you live somewhere that gets +40 degrees or -10 regularly ANY grade of oil will do you.

"Just let it warm up before you thrash it and check it and change it regularly"...thats what the old fella says, and while I can't believe that I am actually listening to his advice it let alone passing it on the old dude knows what he's talking about and so far, in all of the cars I have owned I have NEVER had engine issues!

I use 5-40 fully synthetic in my car and it gets driven the way the designers wanted it to be driven!

Just make sure you change the oil/filter as often as poss, the grade of oil you use is very much a grey area, as long as there is fresh oil in it and the filter is 'filtering' you'll be fine. (bring on the barrage of abuse from the 'experts'!)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks BillyBoy

I plan on sticking to the 5k frequency for changing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts