Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Does anyone have any advice regarding the digital display for the mileage and temperature guage? It is barely visible during the day and is not at all visible at night. Please tell me I am doing something stupid...
BTW-
It is a 1997 A6 Wagon

THANKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
same problem for me as well...except it is the temperature and the gears light!?
can see during the day but out at night! help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where can we get these displays? My Audi dealer is telling me its gonna be $160 each, but is there a cheaper source online. I need my odometer and gear lights. Also my dealer told me that when you replace them, you have a chance of shorting out the third display so you need to buy all three.

·
Registered
3 Posts
All you need to do is replace the lightbulbs behind the instrument cluster. The mileage display is just a regular 2$ worth lightbulb and socket. As for the outside temperature display, you are talking about a light bulb that will need to be solder in. Easy work and it is also fairly easy to pull the instrument cluster out. 5 scews if I recall.
Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
to open up the instrument cluster do you need to take off the wheel? I dont know how to do this. Also, I have to disconnect the battery right?

If so, can i call up audi and get the unlock code for the radio for when it locks up from cutting the power?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No and no ! You do not need to pull the steering wheel out neither do you need to disconnect the battery. However, pull the steering wheel as much as you can (within the normal adjustment length) and lower it as much as you can as well. It will give you more space and it will be plenty !

There are two screws to undo in order to pull the leatherette panel out and three screws to pull the instrument cluster out. Once the screws are undone, pull the instrument cluster gently and disconnect the different connexions that are there. Undo them all, it will not alter any information. It is all fairly easy.

Should you need pictures, shoot me an email ([email protected])and I shall send some pics.

Good luck

JFL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is an illustration of the parts you need to pull out to access the instrument cluster. The connexions of the instrument cluster can all be safely disconnected w/o having to disconnect the battery calbes and it will not cause damages neither.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1997 Audi A4 1.8T odometer problem

I seem to have the same problem...The light behind my odometer went out and I need to replace it. 1) does anyone know a good place to get this light for a DIY repair? 2) instructions on doing this?

I am trying to get this done and sell the car asap so the soon the better would really help. Thanks everyone!!

DC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts