Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I am wondering if it is worth filling up on Super Unleaded. I have a 3.0 Q Sport.

Has anyone any experience of the benefits?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
i only use Super unleaded 97, or Shell Opitmax.. now Vpower.

I tend to get better milage and profromance compated to 95 unleaded.

have a look through the forum, i have posted a few times about this topic..

RicKT

·
Registered
34 Posts
I own a 3.0 Quattro sport auto, and compared to standard unleaded (95 in uk) the super (97) unleaded and especially the Shell V-Power offers a marked difference in performance. I use the word 'Performance' not to say the mentioned fuels will dramatically improve accelerating sprints but they make (in my case) the car feel much more responsive - especially from lower engine speeds. Acceleration also feels much smoother. For the sake of a couple of quid extra per tank-full, i would say it is well worth the difference - if not for the extra/livelier performance the fact that higher octane fuels are less likely to cause pre-ignition/detonation under load than other fuels should be considered money well spent in the peace-of-mind area!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
jrv666 said:
the fact that higher octane fuels are less likely to cause pre-ignition/detonation under load than other fuels should be considered money well spent in the peace-of-mind area!!
Not really an issue, as modern VAG engines actually have knock sensors, which constantly monitor for detonation and automatically retard the ignition timing accordingly. You can actually use 91RON petrol, without any problems, though only in an emergency!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts