Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 90 Quattro that has given me some problems lately.

1. About a month ago I was driving when the oil light came on and I noticed a plume of smoke behind me. Turns out the hose carrying oil into the engine came out de to a bad coupling, and covered my engine in oil. I had that repaired- but it still smells like burning oil after I drive it. Any thoughts on this?

2. Today I was driving with the AC on (I live in Colorado, and it was probably 90 degrees out) and this white "fog" started blowing out of my vents. I turned off the AC and it went away, but when I turned AC back on it came back. I noticed that something wet fell on my right foot- it looked like water, and didn't have a smell. Any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
4 Posts
The reason it still smells like burning oil is that your engine is probably still covered in oil, or at least the exhaust is. If you clean it all off with a nice engine degreaser treatment and pressure washer(or just a hose if you want) it should work. Be careful around electrical components with the pressure washer, you could force water into them and damage them.

The reason you were seeing a "fog" is that you don't have any humidity in the air coming out of the vents, but there is humidity inside the car. So you're seeing the water because the dew point inside the car is lower than the air outside. Thus, you get fog, or "clouds". If you leave it on long enough you can make it rain. It's not a problem though, just normal. Although, I have seen a problem with water building up in places it shouldn't when you do this too much, and this is probably where the leak was from. Just don't blow your A/C quite so cold for so long, and the leak should go away. It could also be the evaperator (located in the dash, near the heater core), and when the water is coming out of the evaperator the drain may be plugged. The drain releases somewhere out of the bottom of the car by the firewall usually, you can check to see if it is plugged. If not, it could possibly be plugged inside the car.

Hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts