Audi Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit unhappy and disappointed with my new Audi A4 2.0T FSI Multitronic. At speeds of 30-40 mph on a slight throttle the engine is turning over at abour 1300 rpm.................and it sounds like a diesel.
The dealer says it is normal...............it cannot be.
Are there any other owners of the 2litre FSI multitronics out there to comment

thanks

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
i hear that alot about the new 2.0ts
they are alot louder then the 1.8ts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by ascotaudi@Oct 28 2005, 03:57 PM
I am a bit unhappy and disappointed with my new Audi A4 2.0T FSI Multitronic. At speeds of 30-40 mph on a slight throttle the engine is turning over at abour 1300 rpm.................and it sounds like a diesel.
The dealer says it is normal...............it cannot be.
Are there any other owners of the 2litre FSI multitronics out there to comment

thanks
Mine sounds a little diesely too.................

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noisy NEW Audi A4 2.0T FSI Multitronic -an update (December 2005) on original input
Audi Reading could not find me a car to compare mine with during a 1 month period.
I therefore contacted Audi customer care who showed real concern and arranged for Audi Reading to look at it in the workshop. No problem was found, they said it was normal. For 1 day I had a 2.0 Turbo diesel which was quieter. I was told the 2.0 T FSI car was designed to sound sporty and noisy.........I said OK but not at 1300 rpm. It would appear that I was having a conversation with someone who did not know that the car was multitronic, which is part of the problem. As a car could not be obtained for comparison, I find it unlikely anyone at Audi Reading would know what the car should sound like. Unfortunately there is no continuity at Audi Reading in solving the problem and I have to explain the problem again and again to different people.
Over the weekend I did a 500 mile trip but the car still sounds like a tractor and the noise is unpleasant.............. a clue may be that the noise is less for a passenger (on left side of the car), this may be due to the catalytic convertor being on the right side (UK driver's side) of the car.

Next is further discussions with Audi Customer Care.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got a 2006 A4 Avant 2.0T (automatic) and everytime I press on the accelerator at certain speeds, there is a gutteral noise with a distinct vibration. When I let up off the accelerator, the ride becomes quiet and smooth again. This sound only occurs until it shifts into the next gear (I think). I say this because it's only obvious when I first press on the accelerator. My dealer is playing dumb too and says he doesn't hear anything.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your problem sounds similar to my problem in the UK with my A4. Your car is a little different and it sounds as if you just have the tiptronic whereas mine has the multitronic (and tiptronic feature). But your description of the problem sounds identical.
Audi are now about to take over the investigation from my UK dealer.........I am beginning to think that this may be a design problem..............reading some other complaints I note that the multiplate clutch has been known to cause vibrations and roughness

Regards

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks but this does not sound like the same problem. Start up does rattle a bit but this is OK, the problem is the geartrain or engine at low revs when under load

·
Registered
2 Posts
My A4 CVT is just a week old with only 231 miles....but have not noticed the condition you describe. It seems very quiet to me. Perhaps not Lexus LS400 quiet, but not objectionable. The launch from a standing stop is quiet and without any drama so far. How many miles are on your car at this point?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 06 A4 2.0T. Same complaint, went to two different dealers and received the same answer, this is normal for this engine since it is a direct injection. I drove other A4 2.0T's and they all sounded the same. I quess we just have to put up with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your reply. Audi camberley agreed there was something wrong but they got another new FSI Multitronic and it was slightly worse. I have really given up but this flaw should really be fixed by Audi. I do not believe it is the FSI injection.......the fact is that the engine does not like running at 1300 rpm most of the time in traffic. If I use the tiptronic function the situation is improved as no one would drive a normal car at these low rpm as the engine would groan. Very much makes an interesting, very well made, car into one that we all wish we had not bought. I would have thought a software change upping the minimum revs to 2000 would fix the problem

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Presumably yours is an FSI 2.0 Multitronic? The problem is that when using the car on suburban roads at 20-40 mph the car stays at 1300 rpm which is not liked by the car...........using the tiptronic feature removes the problem as you can keep the revs up to 2000 and the engine is then smooth.
I have now given up trying to get Audi fix the problem as it seems many others have the same problem. If yours is quiet at low speeds going up slight inclines or with a little acceleration then you appear lucky....mine's a tractor
FUTURE BUYERS BEWARE

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have to disagree with the issue that the 2.0T FSI doesn't like the 1,300 rpm rev range. In the Golf GTI, it sounds quite sweet from tick-over to red-line. IMHO, it never sounds "diesely". Although it does have direct injection like a diesel, the initiation of the combustion process is completely different from a diesel engine.

Don't forget, the 2.0T FSI was primarilly developed as a "performance" engine, and certainly excels in the Audi A3 and Golf GTI platforms, and the "music" from the motor is nothing but glorious!

I know the A4 has much better sound insulation than the A3 or Golf, and maybe the mating of the 2.0T FSI to the multitronic was not the best match, but surely you could forceably advise your dealer, and also Audi UK, that a software re-map, along with some additions/revisions to the exhaust heatshields and /or sound insualtion, should be forthcomming pronto!

Maybe if you are after limo-like quietness, you should have got a Lexus (spit!), or an Audi with a different engine / gearbox combo!

A final, but crucial "lightbulb" moment - you are running it exclusively on 98 (or above) RON super unleaded petrol, rather than the standard 95 RON "normal" unleaded?????

1 - 15 of 15 Posts