Audi Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Noisy Front Brakes or Suspension

I have a 20T Quattro, which exhibits a very strange noise. This noise only occurs if a reverse and brake after I have driven a reasonable distance at relatively fast speed. I must have travelled for at least 15 miles at 60 mph or faster. Audi have informed me that all A4 Quattro’s make this noise. I think it is strange as I can feel movement in the steering wheel. The car has been in the shop 6 times over a 3 month period and numerous parts have been replaced. Any Ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise is a thud or clunk type of noise. The car is under an audi maintenance plan and they replace with OEM parts. The noise manifests itsself only once, when the brakes are applied in reverse. It is almost as if something is adjusting or moving when the brakes put tention on the components

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, you have misunderstood. It happens every time I use the brakes after reversing. However once the noise has happened, if I brake again in reverse again there is no noise untill I go forward again and the select reverse and brake again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh I see, I can hear the sound you talking about but when I think of the problem its almost like from the gears popping too soon and you get that clunk. Your saying from the brakes which I have no idea other than loose parts or brake lines. I have never heard of anything like that with brakes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same on my 2009 S4 Avant. I pull up ready to back into my parking place, put the car in reverse & as you move back the front drivers side, somewhere behind the front wheel goes clunk.
Audi have looked at it when it was last in the shop & say there is no evidence of a problem. There must be something causing it but they either don't know or won't say.
Maybe its like the water pump issue. Audi owners only knew there was a problem when so many started breaking. Maybe it's something that is going to break!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Speeddemon, I would guess that the cause could be some slight play in the front brake pad retainer pins. When you brake in reverse, the brake pads move slightly - less than .5cm or so. If it really sounds pronounced, you could get the entire set replaced, but if not, you could wait till your next service and have them looked at.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.