Audi Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Owner 2001 AudiTT 225 45,000k miles. Stock everything except intake. Been working great but today drove it into town wasnt hard on it at all parked it had lunch and then started it up and noticed that the turbo is spooling but there is no boost. Its all engine. Everything sounds fine just no boost. This is my first turbo car so no clue what to look for. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so this is wierd, i was able to fix it. Here are the things i did. I let it cool down and also reset the computer. After doing those two things everything works fine now. Very Wierd!!!

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
maybe he took off the boost for better gas milage, or for a cooler sound... is the a BOV on it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
woops just realised you answered your post! lol sounds very strange??? here was my answer lol-
how do you know there is no boost? do you have a gauge?
have you inspected all the pipes and hoses for cracks or splits? make sure an intercooler pipe hassnt just fallen off. look at the actuator, what condition is it in. some can rust up and jam.
also when did the induction kit get put on? it could be fuelcutting? you dont have to turn up the boost to hit a fuel cut. fuelcutting is controled by the volume of air inducted. it could also be problems with ignition? old or poor quality plugs etc can have big effect when cars boost up. to be honest there are a lot of things it could be but these are common problems with turbo cars.
after considering all this, plug it into a computer for faults at a garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still same problem

Ok after it was fixed i drove it for another day, took it out a few days later and same problem. Very wierd. Just bought the car from Audi and everything was changed etc etc before i bought it. You can hear the turbo do its thing, its like a valve is open or something and letting all the "turbo" to not be used. Plus you can tell when there isnt any boost. when it works it puts you in the back of your seat and when it doesnt work my jeep grand can beat it lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, here are other factors. I am about 7,000 feet above sea level and its cold out around 25 today. i dunno just ideas

·
Registered
21 Posts
ok. well for starters just cause you arnt put back in your seat doesnt mean there is no boost. it can still be boosting up or boosting up to a very low pressure. the actuator could be sticking or the wastegate could be jamming open.
the cold air and the induction kit could well be making a turbo car hit a fuel cut but i dont know at what levels the tt will cut at? are you saying the car ran fine for a few days after the last time you had this problem? how old is the car? how long have you had it? i recommend a trip to the garage or a diagnostics exam for peace of mind and a few answers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its a 2001 WITH 45,300 miles on it. Its just wierd if the problem happens then if i restart the computer everything works fine. If its working great i can drive around all day long with it working. If i turn off the car and start it up again it might work and it might not work. I guess ill just have to wait till Feb to take it to the dealer since i live out in the middle of nowhere. Sounds something up with electrical problem if it has to be restarted for it to work....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Error Code

So was driving it today and it actually finally gave me a check engine light. Ran the computer on it and it gave me a "P1128" (Fuel Air Metering Control). While that error came up that boost problem i talked about came up again.

Looked up the P1128 on Audi Forums and it means = Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Lean

Any Fixs for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like your MAF is going bad and putting you in limp mode (very low boost).

You can buy a new MAF for around $135 online, or look on Ebay and classifieds on Audi forums for a cheaper one... but I would guess that's your problem

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So sprayed it all out, tested it and well still just doesnt feel the same with boost. Still feels like its in limp mode. will drive friday and see if the engine light comes back on. If so ill just purchase a new MAF and hope that is the issue. Sucks living out in the middle of nowhere. Gotta wait till i drop if off at a Audi Dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something else to try... leave the MAF installed, but unplug it from the electrical harness. Start it up (it may start and die once) and drive and see if you get your boost back.

If you do, it is the MAF and needs to be replaced. The ECU holds default mixture codes, so it may work for a bit as stated if you reset the ECU, but when it starts reading codes from the sensors it will begin adjusting, and that's when you lose your boost.

You said you you bought it from an Audi dealer? Is it CPO (Audi Certified)? Too bad you live so far from the dealer... I live about 14 miles from mine and don't want to drive that far! (I need to get an immobilizer remote programmed with my car)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dallas4u said:
Something else to try... leave the MAF installed, but unplug it from the electrical harness. Start it up (it may start and die once) and drive and see if you get your boost back.

If you do, it is the MAF and needs to be replaced. The ECU holds default mixture codes, so it may work for a bit as stated if you reset the ECU, but when it starts reading codes from the sensors it will begin adjusting, and that's when you lose your boost.

You said you you bought it from an Audi dealer? Is it CPO (Audi Certified)? Too bad you live so far from the dealer... I live about 14 miles from mine and don't want to drive that far! (I need to get an immobilizer remote programmed with my car)
Will do that today. Will let you know. THank you for all your help!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It worked

Everything works now. thank you all for your help so much happier when the car actually does what its suppose to do lol.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I cleaned the MAF. Might get another sensor when i drive down to Phoenix next month just to have one on reserve since i live in the middle of nowhere. Thank you for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts