Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but if I were to get a chip for my car, would a mechanic be willing to put it in? Is it illegal or anything?

FYI- I have a '98 A4 2.8 Quattro

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
A mechanic or tuning place should be able to put in the chip easily and it is not illegal to do so but you should advise your insurance company that you have made engine/performance upgrades as if you were to be involved in a bad crash and the insurance comp didnt know about the upgrade and inspected your car they wouldnt cover the claim.
On newer cars after 1999 the ECU is remappable instead of adding a chip and this is qiute hard for anyone to detect and you could get away without telling the insurance company about it.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
usually when u get a chip just have a tunner shop put it in casue they wil have to remove the ECU, take the cover off and take the old chip out and soder a new chip

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can avoid the whole issue of installation/legality by skipping the chip and just doing an exhaust. The chip will only give you about 10hp.

www.stratmosphere.com have Milltek exhaust for most models of Audi and the exhausts can be installed by any garage.

VB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts