Audi Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I've got a bimmer which is going back in a month so I'm on the hunt for a new (used) car. I've always loved the A4 so its #1 on my shopping list. As I know little about them, can you please help me out....

Is there a year by year guide somewhere on the net that would give specs and explain any changes in model years.

1.8T or 2.8?

Any specific model years to stay away from? Or any I would be better off going for?

Any common problems in the platform?

I am looking for a quattro as I can't stand fwd.

Thanks for your help and I look forward to getting my A4!!!!!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
theres are some things that changed durning the b5 generation
there were quite a few facelifts and some power changes

in 2000 they gave the A4s nice one piece head lights and new tail lights

2001 they bumped tjhe Hp of the 1.8T to 170 from 150

theres a better link when i find it i will post it

and if u want to tune the care get a 1.8T if u want a more reliable car with good stock power get the 2.8

but the 2.8 from 1996-1997 where weaker casue they were just 12 valves and the 1998 and up becasome the 30 valve 2.8 with 190hp

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's a link to the differences in the model years - some of the small photos it's hard to see the differences, but click on them for larger images.

http://ctny.audiworld.com/mark/a4/diff/diff.html

Also, audiworld.com is a great site for all the info on the various model years including specs. Click on the Resources tab, then Model Guide.

I love my '99.5 Avant with the 1.8T motor, tiptronic, and sport suspension package.

I would shy away from the '96-'97 years, and if you like the one piece headlight and improved dash, then the '99.5 or later is best. If you can afford the 2001 or later model, then the extra 20HP in the 1.8 motor is worthwhile.

Good luck.

VB

1 - 3 of 3 Posts