Audi Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...So I have a 99 A4 2.8Quattro...love it. anyways, I'm up to 106k on the engine and lately, in first gear only I can hear a rattle sound while i accelerate. When I let off the throttle it doesn't do it, and when I shift to second, third, fourth...etc..... and doesn't make the sound. Only in first. So I looked at a lot of forums, and one with a similar problem said that his tranny some how got missaligned with the transfer case? anyways, Just wondering if anyone thinks it could be a loosed linkage problem, or maybe my gears are F'd (well atleast first is), I'm going to change the oil tomorrow since there is 106k on it, thought it would be a good thing to do.....so i'll check for metallic chips. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you should see chips in the pan,there are magnets on the lower cover to collect the metallic wear components in the trans,normal wear.changing the fluid is an excellent idea.check out the post on audiworld.com under engine tech articles,there is an excellent post for diy change on an older model a6,but its pretty much the same.you also need a diag. tool to check the fluid temp at refill, it's a bit involved for a do it yourself actually, considering the cost of trans. replacement if not carried out properly.check the heat shields on the exhaust/cat.converter,and the trans/engine mounts first,changing the oil/filter is good,but costly,and I don't think its going to fix your problem

·
Registered
66 Posts
well it only happens whe im in first it is deffinatley in the tranny because no matter if im on the throttle it makes an obnoxious rattling kinda winding like reverse but way way louder and more rattly?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I talked to my mechanic i usually take my car to, he can't fix it cause he doesn't do transmissions, but he thinks its either my constant mesh gear, or my synchro for first gear.... but in that case, i'd have to replace the whole gear cluster to fix it. we'll see, i'm taking it to a transmission shop next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts
andrewnriley said:
I talked to my mechanic i usually take my car to, he can't fix it cause he doesn't do transmissions, but he thinks its either my constant mesh gear, or my synchro for first gear.... but in that case, i'd have to replace the whole gear cluster to fix it. we'll see, i'm taking it to a transmission shop next week.
I have exactly same noise in 1st gear; bought the car 4500 miles ago with the noise, the noise has not changed. Did you have yours fixed? What was wrong?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I got the work done on the car. I got completely screwed on the deal, but i'm glad that i dont have to worry about the problem getting worse. So i brought it to a transmission shop up in Washington state, and they told me that my input shaft had a lot of pitting on the teeth of the gears, and my first gear somehow got chewed up, and was only staying together because it was such a tight fit in the tranny..... :/ Anyways, so i asked to look at the damage and they showed me, and it was pretty chewed up.... Also most of my bearings were pretty loose, and wobbly, and bearing baskets were screwed......

So i pretty much got a the majority of my transmission rebuilt, except for the gears, got a new input shaft, new first gear, then on top of that, new bearings, bearing baskets, some clip things, and then i had my clutch replaced and a new flywheel put in cause i was gonna do it myself but realized i didn't want to do ALL that work! and a new master and slave cylinder.... so ****, a lot of money later, and my car drives great......still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts