Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my title says, I bought an 88 80 with 149000. It has sat for the 2 months since it last ran (will not start). Previous owner is a friend, needed a car quick, so he bought this one. When it did run, he says it ran fine, he put new rotors, pads, starter and battery in and it ran like a top. (he says) Well, one day, it just wouldn't start, it hasn't ran since.

I had a chance to pick it up cheap ($400), which to me is fair since he put all that into it with the above mentioned parts. It is totally baffiling to me the complexity in the wiring loom/fuse/relay setup of this car, lol.

Its so simple, yet, very frustrating. All underhood fuses are okay, and I swapped a couple of relays around to see if I could get any response ....nada.
I checked the inside relays a bit....but can't really make out what it what without a **** guide to follow.

This is where you guys come in. I can turn the ingniton to the run position and get a couple of things. On the cluster, I get the diagnostic area to flash a coolant sign in red, and the seatbelt reminder and door/key chime. When turning the ignition, I can get the trans-lock to 'unlock' and get some relay sounds from under the dash area...but that is all. Not even a hint of sounds from in the engine compartment. No clicks from the starter solenoid at all......

Please, if you have any input.....Id love to hear it. This thing has got me baffled. All accesory options work, auto door unlock/lock, and all fuses underhood are okay. Is there any major relays I can check, replace.

I seem to see a lot about a 'hall' sensor that needs replacing in the distributor, could this have any effect on the ingition system? I am going to try a new ignition switch and tumbler to see if this makes any difference....other than that, I am stumped.

This car has tons of potential, but it just needs to run to unlock it, lol.

Thanks -Eric :liebe011:

·
Registered
74 Posts
immobiliser fitted?????????if not i would check all connections on the starter motor circuit especially the low tension side of things--ithink from memory that there is a small wire to the starter motor if there is one make sure it is very well connected--when you turn the key to start the motor does the ignition light go out???if it doesnt this will indicate a poor connection somewhere---also check all the earth points

1 - 2 of 2 Posts