Audi Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of buying my first Audi this Friday, a 2002 A4 1.8t Quattro with sport package and tiptonic trans. I have only driven it twice and already love this car! It drives fantastic (my last car was a Camaro, I am ashamed to say) so this is a great step up.

Being new to Audi, I have a few questions... What is the B5 or B6 mean? I have seen this on several postings? Also I havnt even taken delivery of my car yet and I am already looking at chips. From everything I have read, they sound to good to be true... What is the catch with chips, are all chips the same? My A4 will still have 1-1/2 year warrenty when I get it, will a chip void that?
I have also read about timing belt tensioning failures (according to MSN.com Autos), is there a fix for this problem?

thanks

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Originally posted by v8toi4+Feb 15 2005, 11:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(v8toi4 @ Feb 15 2005, 11:30 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>What is the B5 or B6 mean?
[/b]

B5/B6/B7 are the body/year codes for the A4. B5 is 1995-2001... B6 is 2002-present. B7s will be out model year 2006.

Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 11:30 PM
From everything I have read, they sound to good to be true...
nope.. audi de-tunes their engines alot.. chips boost the turbo pressure up to what they should be. i think stock psi in a 1.8t is 11psi or something like that.

Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 11:30 PM
What is the catch with chips
will void any warrenty from audi you have on the car. will also increase engine wear on the turbo and gaskets by a bit. both of my previous audis have been chipped tho with no problem.

<!--QuoteBegin-v8toi4
@Feb 15 2005, 11:30 PM
are all chips the same? [/quote]
nope, in general the more $$ the more HP you'll get.. some are better for HP some are better for gas miliage, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by bhb399mm@Feb 16 2005, 10:52 PM
B5/B6/B7 are the body/year codes for the A4. B5 is 1995-2001... B6 is 2002-present. B7s will be out model year 2006.
nope.. audi de-tunes their engines alot.. chips boost the turbo pressure up to what they should be. i think stock psi in a 1.8t is 11psi or something like that.
will void any warrenty from audi you have on the car. will also increase engine wear on the turbo and gaskets by a bit. both of my previous audis have been chipped tho with no problem.
nope, in general the more $$ the more HP you'll get.. some are better for HP some are better for gas miliage, etc.
Performance & modification-wise, what would be a better choice: the 170 HP 1.8t or the 220 HP 3.0?

Would the 1.8t chipped bring it close power-wise to the 3.0?

Is the 1.8t more easily modded than the 3.0?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by AudiJ21@Feb 4 2005, 02:06 PM
Glad to be a part of audi-forums, thanks for havin me! Need some advice though, looking into buying an audi and join the fellow audi owners. :) i will be getting an A4 but not sure if i should get the 1.8t or the 2.8, any suggestions??
Nevermind, I'm sure the the above reply applies to the B6 as well as the B5.

·
Registered
25 Posts
turbo cars are always easier to mod than naturally aspirated cars...(in general)

u can increase boost (chip)
get an exhaust (will generally produce a greater percentage increase in power compared to n/a cars)
get an intercooler (the cooler the air, the better)
or u can just whack a bigger turbo on it! (get something better than a ko4 though)

your options are endless! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,
from what I understand the B5 is the model years 1996-2001, and B6/B7 is years 02 going forward. Hope this helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts