Audi Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, Hopefully someone out there can help!

I have owned a 1999 2.4 tip A6 for the past year with only minor teething problems which i've managed to resolve in particular silicon spray to help guide sticky windows.

This one is turning me grey though. After a recent long trip to the airport and back I noticed that the passenger footwell was completly soaked. After drying out and strippping out the centre console etc, I found the leak, it is dripping down from the underside of the air distribution housing and trickling into the passenger footwell.

I have checked the condensate drain by pouring down a little water and this found its way to the driveway no problem. A little condensate is managing to find its way out by the correct route, unfortunatly the rest is in the footwell.

I have spoken to my local dealer, any they said 99.9% of the time is a blocked drain. I guess I must be that 0.1%!!!!!

Its not been raining here for at least 5 days so can't presume it is rainwater as mentioned in some of the other A/C topics.

Well, if anyone has any thoughts they would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Jessco

·
Registered
256 Posts
More than likely I'd say blocked drain. However... Do you notice any water vapor coming from your A/C vents? You may want to have you A/C ref. level checked. If it is low (but not completly out) this will cause the ref. to circulate at the wrong speed and cause icing on the evaporator. Eh... for what it's worth.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Laseorn, thanks for reply.

I've disconnected the funnel that runs to the drain alothough I haven't yet fully removed it for inspection. The drain to external is in perfect working order.

Definatly nothing coming from the vents themselves. There appears to be a join or hole in the centre of the casing to the air distribution housing. Seems a strange place to have a hole if you've got fluid floating about that area but without taking the whole unit out I cant be sure what it is. I suppose it could be that there is a rubber plug but I'm sure I would have noticed it laying there, afterall its quite a confined space and nothing is shown on the audi parts system. I will check the A/C Ref. level as suggessted after all its worth a try before setting about removing the whole unit.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Laseorn, thanks for reply.

I've disconnected the funnel that runs to the drain alothough I haven't yet fully removed it for inspection. The drain to external is in perfect working order.

Definitely nothing coming from the vents themselves. There appears to be a join or hole in the centre of the casing to the air distribution housing. Seems a strange place to have a hole if you've got fluid floating about that area but without taking the whole unit out I cant be sure what it is. I suppose it could be that there is a rubber plug but I'm sure I would have noticed it laying there, after all its quite a confined space and nothing is shown on the audi parts system. I will check the A/C Ref. level as suggested after all its worth a try before setting about removing the whole unit.

Thanks again
I'm in the .1% as well. I've run air through the drain of the condenser and it flows great without any blockage. I'm guessing the water is coming from somewhere else besides the basic areas. I am 100% sure this is not rain water as it only happens when I use the a/c.

Icing of the condenser could happen I guess. Was this the problem?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts