Audi Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering ordering a factory build Audi A6 2.7 TDI SE for delivery in January 2007. I’d really appreciate your thoughts on my choice of options and my current thinking:

A6: I have been very pleased with my A4 but would like a bit more space and really like the look and feel of the A6. Prefer the quality and image of the A6 over it's rivals. Also, I've had great service from my local Audi dealer.

2.7 TDI: I want another diesel but would like a bit more power and like the idea of a V6. I have driven the 2.0 TDI and it was okay, but I’d like more! I plan to drive the 2.7 TDI in the next few days. Don't want to stretch to the quattro models, I prefer some toys! :)

Happy with manual transmission, happy with SE rather than S-line.

Metallic - I’ve had 2 silver cars and prefer a grey this time or maybe aurora blue? Any opinions on the best looking colours? :cool:

Luxury pack. No brainer - Volterra black leather. Is Valcona leather worth the extra money ?

Electric Lumbar support. Not sure about this. I do suffer from lower back ache occassionally and this may help?

Split folding rear seats. Any problems with rattling or squeaks ?

Folding and dimming mirrors. Must have folding, is the auto dimming worth the extra?

Sports steering wheel - Looks and feels nicer? :cool:

80 litre tank. I hate stopping to fill up and this gives an extra range on a long journey.

Colour DIS. Not sure about this, is it worth the extra?

Auto boot opening. Looks like good value.

First aid kit.

Comms pack 2. Expensive, but I think MMI colour is important and I want a CD auto changer.

Have I missed anything important or are any of these not worth having? :eek:

Also, does anyone have a good idea what the residual price may be after 3.5 or 4 years?

Apologies for the long first post, but your help is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Buying new A6

I bought an A6 2.7tdi Quattro Avant auto in Sept 2005, and it's been a fantastic car in every way. Recently had some trouble where the car would intermittently go into limp-home mode, resulting in a top speed of 40mph. In typical super-efficient Audi like fashion, the technician arrived in less than an hour, but could not find a remedy on site, so had to take the car to my local dealer. I was given a loan car (claustrophobic A4), which is just as well, as the dealer had the car for 13 days before they diagnosed the fault and replaced the turbo unit. No problems since and surpisingly, I've not lost any faith in the car.

After living with the car for now for 1 year, if I had to re-order the same vehicle (and it would be the same, as it's rivals do not compare), I would omit the following options.
1. Full electric seats - the much cheaper electric lumbar support in my previous A6 was adequate.
2. Electric tailgate - nice party piece, but cumbersome to use; the smallest obstruction results in non-closure and the open-close sequence has to be repeated.

A must have option is the Xenon headlights, as the lights in the new model is just as poor as the old A6.
Avoid the S-Line models, especially if you suffer with back problems.
Colour - my favourite has always been silver; it seems to compliment the lines of the vehicle. The saloon in black is nice, but you have to like washing cars.

Leather - the grey Volterra in mine is nice, but lacks the magical odour of leather on entry. If the Valcona provides this, then it's worth the extra, but may require more care.

Split folding seats - no rattles or squeaks here, and their folding independance is nice.

Dimming mirror - not fitted to mine, couldn't see the need for this.

Sports steering wheel - nice with the integral radio controls.

80L tank - standard on the Quattros. I wouldn't consider this option otherwise, as the car is great on fuel (33+ mpg), especially for an all wheel drive.

Colour DIS - too cheap to miss.

First aid kit - much cheaper from your local Wilkos.

Colour MMI - would you buy a black & white TV?

Residual value - what price, total driving exaltation?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Nice first post there ESTWICK, glad to have you onboard,

Also good first post to you AndyP, thats what we are here for!

Thanks

Rickt

·
Registered
49 Posts
My wife and I recently bought a 2006 3.0TDi saloon, and I'm really pleased with it.

We have the colour DIS (came with DVD nav), and is a really nice touch, especially with the navigation instructions. DVD navigation is excellent, and the bluetooth phone connection (comms pack 2) is perfect. Really can't recommend it enough.

We got the S-line, and the ride is a little hard - it's a balance of looks over comfort. I opted for the better looks, and am happy with my decision.

Our saloon is black, and the comments that you "have to like washing cars" is very true! Looks great when it's clean, but it doesn't stay clean for long!

We also have the Lux pack, and the interior light pack (part of the Lux pack) is brilliant. Really makes the inside of the car feel nice at night, and the light pools from the mirror lights outside the car are really useful if it is wet!

I wish I'd got the Xenons, because the standard lights are a bit disappointing. I'd like to upgrade reterospectively, but I don't know if this is possible.

Electric lumbar support is great, and there is no need for electric seats unless you have several people driving your car regularly.

Folding and dimming mirrors - I didn't bother, and don't miss having them.

We have full leather (again, came with lux pack). I think the voletrra black leather is nice enough, and would not pay extra for the more expensive valcona leather.

Our car has the 80 litre tank (standard in the 3.0TDI), and I get around 600 miles to a tank. If I drove more economically, I could do better! The car has the 6-speed tiptronic. It is also a Quattro. I have not really experienced the advantages of this yet, but I think it will come into its own in winter.

Finally - as I said, we have the saloon, and don't have the option of the auto open and close tailgate. However, if we'd got the Avant, we wouldn't have bothered, as I really think it would be more hassle than it is worth!

Out of interest, my wife and I were originally going to buy an A4 avant, but happened to try the A6 whilst we were at the dealership. As soon as we sat in the A6, we changed our mind. The A6 is much bigger and more comfortable. Also, with a baby on the way we wanted an Avant, but having looked in the MASSIVE boot of the A6 saloon, we decided that we could quite easily cope with that.

100% happy with the car so far!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Many thanks Eastwick and PAH.

Following a very rewarding test drive I 'pressed the button' last weekend and ordered my A6 2.7 TDI in Aurora Blue for delivery in January. I kept broadly to the spec in my original post but decided NOT to tick the lumbar, dimming mirrors (kept folding) and split seats (haven't missed on last two saloons).

I also managed to negotiate a great deal from my local Audi centre.

Looking forward to January! :)

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Congrats on the purchase..... i bet you cant wait till xmas is over now!!!

The countdown begins.......................!!!!!!!!

Rickt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts