Audi Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have just purchased a new 1.6 Audi A3 3 door (3 days ago) and have only done just over 200km (I live in Ireland). The car has the following faults already, and I am thinking of rejecting it. Does anyone have any advice?

1 Grinding noise when turning steering wheel to the left since collecting the car.
2 Loud rattling from under car when running at low revs or accelerating up to about 2.5 thousand revs.
3 Left indicator did not turn off automatically after going around corner on first day, seems to have rectified itself.
4 Heater vent mesh on dash is sticking up slightly since collecting the car.
5 Rattle from instrument cluster at times.
6 Car not idling smoothly at times.
7 Car appears to have been built in June 2005 going by date on (Volkswagen / Audi) factory sheet in the car. Also has green mould visible around window seals etc, I understood the car I was getting was only a couple of months old max.

Please Please advise me what to do.

I have just traded in a troublesome 04 golf (all issues almost satisfactorily resolved at time of trade in) and don't want all this trouble of bringing the car to the dealer time after time.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
check ur contol arms
ur injectors or sparks
there could be alot of reasons

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
Get stright back to the dealer and request all the issues are resolved ASAP. - you have to give them a chance to resolve the issues before rejecting the car. demand a hire car from them at no cost, and give them a 5 working days to resolve all the issues.

if then the issues are still present go back to the dealer and advise you are going to reject the car due to the contract you had with them when you purchased the car was that they was to supply a car to an expectable standard.

To be nonest i think it may be hard to reject the car fully (without them saying we will repair it etc etc...)

Let us know how you get on...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

The car was with the dealer all week. Got it back today.

It required a new steering rack and a new catalytic converter.

They also cleaned the mould off.

The indicator is still working ok so no problems there.

The idling issue (I am told) is to do with the car searching for its optimum idle speed when at a stop.

The rattles are minor and do not require any attention at the moment.

So for now I am happy.

I think Audi need to improve their quality control though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you test drive the car first and if so did you not notice these faults,i would send the car back to them until every fault is fixed as it has only did 200kms.is it brand new or demo or anything??i find audi very good with customer service also if you dont fancy drivin the car back to the garage phone audi to send some1 out to fix problems(in future) because RAC direct are now contracted to audi so they will come out anytime anywer.

Hope all ur problems are fixed soon!!!! :beer:

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
sounds like it could of been one of those friday afternoon cars....

just make sure all the issues are fixed!! dont put up with anything wrong!

Cheers

it time for you to ENJOY now!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I didn't test drive it first and yes, its brand new, not ex demo.

It was brought to the garage this morning on a tow truck by the Audi 24hr emergency service. The steering noise has reappeared and now there is a noise when braking at slow speeds.

Audi 24hr emergency service sent someone to look at the car yesterday, and I was told not to drive and to ring them again in the morning to have it collected and brought to the garage. The garage has it now, no feed back as of yet!

Only just under 1100 kilometres on the clock now!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to hear about this and hope you get it sorted out soon without further problems. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The noise you have at low speeds like parking is probably due to a faulty steering rack - i have one so perhaps get audi to check the serial numbers and see if it can be changed? mine is being changed in a few weeks! fingers crossed!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Don't want to disappoint you but I to have had the same steering rack problem with my A3. First occured one month after delivery of the car last October. Eventually after long delays and several phone calls the dealer advised a modified rack had been developed to resolve and was eventually filled last month. You've probably already guessed - the noise is back again, in less than a month after the modified rack was fitted. This is poor show for what was sold to me as a premium brand. I am now considering my next steps.

Regards,
Al.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have exactly the same problem. I had the steering grinding noise soon after getting my brand new A3 in July 05. Audio replaced the steering rack and the noise returned about a month later. I took the car back and Audi replaced the steering rack this time with a "new modified" steering rack. The noise has now returned despite the new modified steering rack. To be honest I'm pretty disgusted with Audi. Their customer service is just disrespectful to the customer. In all my dealings with Audi, they've NEVER called me back when they said they would. I've had to chase repeatedly EVERY time.

It would be good to hear from anyone who gets a solution to this or some sort of satisfactory compensation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, the car was back with the dealer just over two weeks ago and they confirmed that the modified rack had failed. Stated they were waiting for Audi UK to tell them what to do next. I was tempted to tell them myself!! Despite promise to keep me informed I had to follow up with a phone call this week to see what is going on. The service advisor said it appeared a further rack was on order but would check to see what Audi had instructed. I'm still waiting for the return call. Interestingly it appears this is a major problem for Audi which perhaps they are not fully admitting to with reports being carried on another forum (http://www.carsurvey.org/viewmorecomments_review_55026_1.html). I find it difficult to accept that they can continue to sell a car which clearly has a mechanical fault which at this time they cannot fix. Surely there must be some law against this? Wonder is there some consumer body that should be taking up the mantle on this issue on behalf of the consumer? I will be phoning the dealer again but given reports to date it does not look promising.

Regards

Al

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Thats shocking to hear about all these steering rack failures.

If Audi persist in supplying a faulty new car like this i think the members of this forum that have had this problem should maybe contact BBC WATCHDOG.

You see these car manufacturers on there reguarly and the bbc does a good job in highlighting the problems that they wish to keep quiet and shame them into doing something about it.

You certainly didnt get this problem on the older A3 as it was one of the most reliable cars around in its time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Just a quick update. I was speaking to a friend the other day and understand he has experienced a similar situation with his new A4 - so not restricted to A3s. I haveheard it also affects the latest Mk5 Golfs. Don't think I'll be buying a VW group car again unledd they sort pretty quick.

regard

big Al

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure this doesn't help you at all, being that you're in Ireland, but I'm fairly certain that the standard in Pennsylvania is that the dealer has three chances to fix any one particular problem. If they don't, or the it seems to be a faulty part(s) on the vehicle, the car is classified as a "lemon" and the dealer has to provide you with a comparable new vehicle or refund of your purchase price.

Although its a bit of a hassle for the consumer, I'd say its probably pretty fair.

·
Premium Member
534 Posts
maybe its not audi.... maybe its you :bwekk: :bwekk:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts