Audi Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to Everybody.

I just bought a 1998 A6 Avant 2.8 SE with 79k on it. It has a full dealer service history (stamped every 10k miles) and has just had all the belts done so I am hoping its a good one. I am loving driving & owning the car and to date have only found two little bugbears with it which I hope more experienced owners may be able to help me with:

1/. The engine is really quiet, so much so that you can hear a constant ticking/clicking noise coming from under the bonnet. It doesn't get quicker/slower with the engine revs rising/falling, staying constant throughout. I looked under the bonnet and its coming from a black plastic box located at the back left of the engine bay as you lean into the engine. Sounds like a fan/rotor going round. Any ideas on what it is, is it supposed to tick and if not can it be easily fixed??

2/. The transmission (auto with tiptronic) is very smooth indeed. A few times however it has had a problem deciding which gear to be in causing it to judder/shake for a second before deciding on a gear. This is most noticeable for example when your coming along a main road to turn left/right off of it. You take your foot of the gas to cover or use the brake, then turn the corner and put your foot back gently on the accelerator. The car then judders a bit as it seems it can't decide what gear to get into (like someone bouncing a clutch) before deciding and being smooth again. This doesn't happen often though only three of four times in three weeks of owning the car. Is it my driving style (I'm used to manuals) or is there a problem here?? I've read about self adapting transmissions etc and think it maybe getting used to me or something??

Thanks in advance for any help/advice with these two small (I hope) issues,

Steve.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Steve,

I've just stumbled across this forum on the internet and I noticed that your A6 was showing similar symptoms as my A4. Ever now and then it the automatic gearbox seems to get its knickers in a twist and can't decide what gear it should change to (this is noticable when I come off a motor way and approach a round about). This then results in a judder that lasts for a few seconds.

I know you posted that message a few months ago so I was wondering if you're still encountering the problem or has it just gone away?

My audi has approx 60,000 miles on the clock and it too came with a FSH, the garage I bought it from say they can't really do anything unless the problem occurs all the time (or unless I end up paying a fortune to have the mechanic drive the car around till it happens). They did seem to think it could be an electrical fault - but with my limited knowledge of the car I boubt this very much.

Anyway would appreciate if you let me know how you got on with the problem.

Cheers,

Anand.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts