Audi Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello peeps, I am new to the site.

I am in desperate need of some advise. I am currently running a 1997 P Audi A4 TDI (red I). There is a large amount of black smoke coming from the exhaust when I accelerate hard and a small amount constantly while I am driving :confused: . A friend has recommended that this is likely to be either a waste-gate problem or a fuel pump timing problem. Has anyone experienced the same or a similar problem that could advise me? I love the car and really want to continue driving it, I am currently doing 100miles a day and there is no more comfortable car to drive in the world...

Hope you can help

Ben

·
Registered
11 Posts
Black smoke = Fuel. It's diesel. Diesel's burn fuel.. lots of it. That's why you're blowing black smoke. Just running rich. If anything maybe too rich. What's your fuel consumption like?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not fantastic at the moment, getting worse by the week. Any ideas as to what / why it is running rich now but has not done in the past??

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
When was it last serviced-fresh oil/plugs/airfilter etc?
Its not uncommon for tdi to push out some smoke on acceleration and i have even seen brand new ones do this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last service was about 3 months ago so shouldn't be a problem there but you never know. Is there any harm in running it without the air filter for a couple of miles to see if it is due to a blocked air filter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
benclements said:
Last service was about 3 months ago so shouldn't be a problem there but you never know. Is there any harm in running it without the air filter for a couple of miles to see if it is due to a blocked air filter?
Take the panel filter out, but leave the surrounding box. Unless you live on a dirt road it should be fine... Don't make it a habit though :p

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Spoke to a mechanic friend and he says it could be the seals going on the turbo which is allowing the oil to escape through and thus out of the exhaust.

·
Registered
23 Posts
t-sport said:
Spoke to a mechanic friend and he says it could be the seals going on the turbo which is allowing the oil to escape through and thus out of the exhaust.
Wouldnt the smoke be gray then?

I've always thought:
Black = running rich
Grey = burning engine oil
White = water (coolant)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats how I understood it too, still very little change in performance at the moment just smoking out any drivers behind me and causing cyclists to wave their arms around as if they are swatting flies.... Oil level is constant, and possibly using slightly more fuel than normal which would explain black smoke.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem up to yesterday. There is a big black pipe which runs from the intercooler (low down nearside front of engine bay). This pipe connects to the inlet manifold via a short rubber hose held in place by two "jubilee" clips. This connector had perished and was letting air in. New hose £20, problem solved!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello peeps, I am new to the site.

I am in desperate need of some advise. I am currently running a 1997 P Audi A4 TDI (red I). There is a large amount of black smoke coming from the exhaust when I accelerate hard and a small amount constantly while I am driving :confused: . A friend has recommended that this is likely to be either a waste-gate problem or a fuel pump timing problem. Has anyone experienced the same or a similar problem that could advise me? I love the car and really want to continue driving it, I am currently doing 100miles a day and there is no more comfortable car to drive in the world...

Hope you can help

Ben
Is it sorted mate??
if yes where did u go AUDI DEALER?

thanks and cheerz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts