Audi Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm loooking at two Avant 5000 Turbo quattro wagons. One is an '86 the other is an '88. Are there any tips or warnings you can give me to look for when inspecting these cars? Any chronic problems? Is one year better than another? The owner claims that the '88 is an Olmypic model from the '88 Calgary olympics. Is there anything extra special about it?

Any performance upgrades for these cars? I have seen ads saying that they have chips or aftermarket waste gate springs. Are these mods expensive and are they worth it? What is the stock performance typically like on these cars? How much can it be improved on? Is it expensive tp upgrade? I'm a mechanic by trade so I'm not afraid to tackle just about anything.

Thanks for all your help, I've never ownwd an Audi just a VW Golf so any advice you can give a newbie would be great! :beer:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got on this site 10 min ago! But I have had a 87 avant cs quattro for years. Love the thing! I beat mine to death.... in the woods. Use it for hunting/fishing and going when nothing else moves in the snow/ice. What to look for in a buy: Brake/fuel line rust, any leaks from the diffs or trans, steering rack leaks,turbo play or noise,exhaust manifold cracks. There should not be any body rust usually and all the other weird audi problems can be fixed easily. Expect to change the timing belt,water pump immediately after purchase unless you are absolute it has been done.
This model is worth your effort, it beats my new Subaru outback wagon hands down. Gets better fuel economy, runs stronger,carrys more,better audio,seats, Quattro over shadows Subaru AWD by a light year. Quattro works in down shifting as well as drive.Only thing it lacks is ground clearance to the Subaru. I have a ton of Audi 5000cs parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as performance options I have not attempted to raise boost or alter the factory engine performance at all. I was interested in off road ability and want long engine life. I find the performance to be adequate given those parameters. It is a lot lighter than it looks and is adequately fast. I have upgraded the shocks, installed a skid plate under alternator/oil cooler area, increased interior volume by eliminating rear seat cushion and replacing with cargo box, adding a rear shelf where the factory pull over cover was. "created" a roof cargo box that attaches to roof rails. Installed a turbo cool down manual switch to supplement the factory cool down switch/thermo setting. This allows forced turbo cool down for the duration I desire. I have been in some really bad places and have found the locking diff's to be of little use, the quattro does fine left on it's own. I have very aggressive tires mounted. Suggest you get a Bentley repair manual, and as a mechanic be careful to read over a repair before you "assume" you know what to do. These Audi's are some what different in procedure than normal automotive repair. Use your skills to effect the repair but assume nothing without reading up first. For example you can remove front bumper, rear too, with two pins, walk it off, remove a brace and work directly on the engine front from a stool!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the great info. I'm going to go see two '86 sedans tommorow and an wagon on Saturday. One has new paint and been very well maintained but needs new front struts and ball joints. I priced it out and the ball joints can only be purchased with the arms to the tune of $288 CDN each! Have you ever had to do yours?

Also the pwr sunroof and seat heaters don't work, are they difficult to fix?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
The front suspension has coil spring struts and lower control arms. Look at the strut, the bottom is unique and the wheel hub connection is robust. There are bushings, steering and on the control arms which I beleive can be purchased alone, but usually all are replaced while you are in there. Most expensive part I ever replaced was the fuel pump and rear calipers, everything else was repaired with the purchase of individual components. But get all the advice you can. A good source of parts/prices/and procedures is Blaufergnugen at www.audiquattroparts.com or phone 920
758-3234. The only wear item I have changed in the front were the wheel bearings and the strut cartridges. The sun roof has a micro/limit switch and motor all dropped down by lowering the panel housing the sunroof switch. First utilize the hand allen wrench to manually turn the sunroof gear motor to observe for bind, then trouble shoot the switch /motor. the heated seats can be step by step electrically repaired using a Bentley manual. You will most likely experience more electrical problems than any other type of fault, if you are inclined and strong in that area it helps. There are many relays on racks up under and behind the drivers knee panel.
As you realize, no old car is trouble free, but considering the original price of a quattro avant and what you can get them for it makes sense to go for one. The cars are well worth your efforts and are far from under engineered. The bodies are triple dipped galvanized after assembly.
If you are after high speed performance seek out the 20 valve turbo 5000 series sedan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts