Audi Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1 full year without a single problem with my car except for minor issues with flat tires.

But recently my 2001 A4 1.8T Quattro started giving me this problem about two week ago, sometimes in the morning when i try to start it, the engine turns 3-4 times and then just die, on a second attempt it will start without any problem. any idea???
No driveability issues at all...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My friend told me that probably I need to have the air filter changed, so that there won't be any air shortage when the car get started.
donno if that's the point.
any suggestions ? please...

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
yea,my car in cold mornings takes a bit longer to start,but never died. so i put in a short ram intake and i still have the prob. but it doesn't happen all the time so it prob. has to do w/ur alternator,battery,or maybe u'r ignition switch.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
Could be a number of things causing this such as your fuel injectors need cleaning/ fuel filter dirty/fuel pump getting lazy(tired) spark plugs need a change etc.I would say check all of the things everyone has suggested as a good star into solving the problem,its bound to be one of them causing it?

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
first things first.. i would get a meter and check the battery level... do this one morning after the car has been standing over night, when you expect it to be a cold morning, and check the voltage... that way you get a true reading of the battery before starting the car.... and know if the problem is there...

if it runs fine and starts fine after 5 mins running time you would guess it could be a battery isssue..

keep us posted..

Rickt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Battery voltage meter in my car shows that before starting the car, it's 12v; when the car is running, it reads 15-16 volts.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem does not happen that often, once or twice in a month only.
I bought a bottle of fuel injector cleaner anyway, hope this will help.
also planning to have my carbin air filter and main air filter both changed.
still looking for instructions of how to change the engine intake air filter,( not that one on the passenger side which is the air filter for air conditioner and heat).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts