Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 A6 and I've been told by the Audi dealer that I should
have the timing chain changed at 160,000 kilometers at a very significant
cost. I metioned this to a friend and he said it wasn't necessary and
that it is just playing ultra-safe and a way to make money for the
dealer. Does anyone have any opinions or facts respecting whether or
not it is necessary to replace the timing belt at 160,000 miles?

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi, take it from me i had a belt snap on a a6 and i wish i had gone for the cheaper option of changing it. you say 160,000 k. i am not sure what that is in miles but mine snapped at 88,000 miles and instead of £370 for the belt change it cost me the best part of £1,500. i am assuming this is the original belt and if so you have had a lot miliage from it. good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes it is better if you change it and if you change in a local garage instead of AUDI dealers make sure they put it on tight because for me they put the belt very loose "luckly" i had an oil leak and they had to put some kind of sealant under the engine to stop the leak and they realised that the belt was loose....

i attached a picture of mine as you can see they have to remove the whole front to change anything inside so make sure they put everything back after

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Absolutely change it! Mine broke on me at 65,000 mile. I was very lucky though with only having to replace the timing belt and one of my heads.

Believe me, it could have been much much worse!

I would change the timing belt every 60,000 miles. I believe Audi says change it every 75. I would play it safe then sorry!

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi JoeSky, (Nice Wheels !!!)

I have a 2000 A6 2.T with 80K miles on it, I just bought it so I have no idea if the previous owner changed the timmig belt or not so I'm considering changing not only the timming belt but also the water pump; can you tell me how much you paid for having the timming belt replaced?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi,

my belt snapped on me! the mileage was 160,455 miles the service light appeared on and the belt needed replacing at 160,628. due to Audi servicing taking so long to get booked in ( I had to wait 4weeks before they could fit me in!) I had to use my car! i got to 160, 871 and then it stopped! less than a week before it was due to be booked in!

Learnt my lesson now, cost me £1900 to fix and that was getting the parts at cost price through VW and paying my old employer (i used to be a mechanic) to fix it!!

Defo get it changed! there is no way of knowing how much after the due change date the belt will last!

Why Audi did not fir timing chains rather thana belt on the V6 engines is beyond me!

car now has 179,836 and is doing really well.....not suprising after a full engine rebuild top n bottom!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to both for the info, I will check it here in California and I'll let you know the outcome, hopefully I can also get it done for around $ 750.00

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tdi_Dan

I'm sure that it was a painful experience for you; I will follow your advice and change the timming belt and water pump ASAP.

Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Originally posted by Ag2146@Jan 6 2006, 01:05 AM
Hi Tdi_Dan

I'm sure that it was a painful experience for you; I will follow your advice and change the timming belt and water pump ASAP.

Thanks.
Hi,

Please try and change the injection pump belt too. That is a pain in the a** to get to and fix, if you are having your timing belt doen then get that done too.

I didnt have my car for 4weeks! it took that long for VW to order in the correct piston rings for the AKN engine. (Which is the rarest of the 2.5 V6 engines....or so VW told me!)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi,

Just for the record; I checked with several AUDI dealers in the area (California) and they all told me that according to Audi the timming belt should be changed (on the 2000 A6 2.7T) at mileage of 104k-105k miles.

In any event I'm planning to change it at no more than 90k just to avoid having any problems.

Regards,

·
Registered
186 Posts
FYI,

My belt tensioner broke at about 120,000 kms (72,000 miles). Fortunaltely had it towed to a garage without any danage to the engine (belt had not skipped nor snapped). 100,000 miles recommened by your dealer seems like alot. Why not get a second opinoin?

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there,

I actually checked with at least 4 Audi dealers and they all told me exactly the same thing so I decided to try an independent Audi mechanic and he also told me the same story, in any event I only have 80K miles thus I may change it at 90K (I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll last till then).

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
dont take chances if that belt snaps ur gonna mess up alot of things

1 - 16 of 16 Posts